Citing lack of space, the Mathura District Jail has requested the district administration to transfer those arrested in the Jawahar Bagh violence to another prison.
“So far 167 men and 97 women, arrested in Thursday’s violence, have been brought here. They are from Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and several districts of UP. The jail has capacity to accommodate 544 inmates and at present, there are 1,730,” said Mathura District Jail Superintendent P D Salonia.
- Jawahar Bagh case: Accused dies after complaining of chest pain
- Mathura Violence: Arrested from Jawahar Bagh, 70-yr-old dies in hospital
- Mathura officials look for parents of 58 lost children
- Mathura violence: District officials look for parents of 58 lost children
- Woman held in Mathura violence gives birth in police custody
- Mathura violence: In care homes, cult children recall morning classes, talk of satyug
“I have requested that the Jawahar Bagh inmates be sent to another jail. I have also informed the jail headquarters in Lucknow about the situation,” he added.
After their arrests on Thursday, the police had kept the accused at a makeshift jail in Farah area of Mathura. They were later shifted to the district jail after the paperwork was completed. Most of those arrested have been booked under Section 151 (breach of peace) of the CrPC.
When contacted, Mathura District Magistrate Rajesh Kumar said they plan to shift those arrested in Thursday’s violence to neighbouring jails once their statements have been recorded.
A total of 14 FIRs have been lodged in connection with Thursday’s clash that resulted in the deaths of 29 people, including two policemen. The identities of 13 of the deceased are yet to be ascertained.
Meanwhile, Mathura Police has announced a reward of Rs 5,000 for alleged mastermind Ram Vrikash Yadav’s associates — Chandan Bose, Rakesh Gupta and Vivesh Yadav. Yadav died during Thursday’s violence. “We have announced a reward because they are missing. We are trying to cross-check the background of those who have been arrested,” Mathura SP Dr Rakesh Singh said.
Toll rises to 29
The death toll from Thursday’s clashes between encroachers and police at Jawahar Bagh rose to 29, with two more persons succumbing to injuries, Chief Medical Officer Vivek Mishra said on Sunday.
An administrative probe into the Jawahar Bagh violence has begun and the report will be submitted in a fortnight, Aligarh commissioner Chandra Kant said on Sunday. “The report will not be delayed,” he added.