A no-confidence motion was on Tuesday passed by the corporators of Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) against its commissioner Tukaram Mundhe. This is perhaps the first time in the history of the civic body that such a motion has been passed against the commissioner. NMMC is controlled by the NCP.
The motion was passed 105-6 at a special meeting convened by the corporation, which was chaired by mayor Sudhakar Sonawane. During the meeting, Mundhe was present in the house. After the motion was passed, Sonawane said it would be forwarded to the Maharashtra government for its approval.
Leader of the House Jayant Sutar tabled the motion and justified the move by saying the commissioner had “failed to perform”. The BJP, however, opposed the motion and voted against it.
Party-wise position in NMMC is NCP – 53, Shiv Sena – 37, Congress – 10, BJP – 6, Independents – 5. However, Mundhe, an IAS officer, received support from a section of the residents.
“This commissioner has zero respect for corporators who are elected representatives. He believes only in bureaucracy and does not believe in democratic values at all. This is why no confidence motion has been initiated against him,” Sonawane had told PTI yesterday.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review