‘Tomorrow is Gurpurab, we have nothing to eat’

Yogesh Sharma, regional manager of PGB in Jalandhar Circle, admitted there was a huge shortage of Rs 100 notes in all branches of the bank. He added that they were expecting more supply in a couple of days.

Written by Anju Agnihotri Chaba | Nijjran (jalandhar) | Published:November 14, 2016 3:53 am
demonetisation, Rs 1000 notes, Rs 500 notes, narendra modi, gujarat congress, india news An irked Kaur said, “First I went to Lambra bank and then I came here. But the officials are saying that they have neither Rs 100 notes nor new Rs 500 notes. Where will people like me go?”

After waiting an hour, 65-year-old Balwant Kaur managed to enter Punjab Gramin Bank at Nijjran village in Jalandhar district on Sunday to exchange two notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denominations. But her hopes were dashed as the bank could not give her 15 notes of Rs 100 denomination.

Watch What Else Is making News

Kaur, who cleans grain in the nearby market, added, “Kal Gurpurab hai te sadhe ghar na kuchh khan nu hai na gurdware chadan nu (Tomorrow is Gurpurab, the birth anniversary of first Sikh guru, Guru Nanak, and we don’t have anything to eat or offer at the gurdwara).”

She said she would request the kirana shop owner to give her rations on credit.

Roop Lal, 70, went to the same PGB branch with Rs 1,000 and met the same fate as Kaur. This time, though, a senior bank official managed to get the cash exchanged with his own notes and coins lying in the bank. “I need atta (flour) and I am really grateful to this bank official for helping me,” said Lal.

“We have 5,000 account holders, mostly labourers, landlords and some NRIs. We did not get Rs 100 notes in the last two days,” said Kamal Kumar Bhatia, manager of PGB’s Nijjran village branch.

“We appreciate the step taken by the government because it will teach a lesson to the corrupt. But due to shortage of new currency and old notes like Rs 100 and Rs 50, the common man and the poor are suffering a lot,” said Pawan Kumar, an account holder at the branch, adding that there was a shortage of small notes at all banks in nearby villages.

Ashish
    Nov 15, 2016 at 4:44 am
    Excellent Article.. Great job as always.. Indian Express doing what they are good at - "SPREADING NEGATIVITY, UNREST and HATE" ...
  2. J
    Jatt
    Nov 14, 2016 at 3:26 am
    Use less and fake article. if your god can not give any money then why pray to him ask him to give back u may have given in last 50 -60 years
    Munukutla Venkateswararao
    Nov 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm
    It seems the grain cleaner is full with notes.
    Dharamvir Saihgal
    Nov 14, 2016 at 5:50 am
    I never knew that a day will come when the almighty is going to put me on the verge of begging,borrowing or stealing despite having valid and legal currency (since illegal)worth thousands of rupees in my pocket.It is for the last four days that I have to drink my tea without sugar and milk.The wheat flour is almost finished and the gas cylinder too may show its bottom any moment now. I know,I have to starve and die of hunger,now onwards.Nevertheeless my conscience and soul are not going to let me beg,steal or borrow. I have since tried my luck by standing in long queues for hours altogether.Some time the stamina exhausts and some time, either the new notes or the banks call it a day.I do not know who to blame and where to find the fault at this ripe age of seventy four. However I trust Him, and my God,certainly can't be so merciless and revengeful as will let me stave during my grey hair.God forbid, what 's going to happen if I or my ailing wife have to face some medical emergency?
    sajeev
    Nov 14, 2016 at 4:54 am
    Some in the media are doing everything they can to create negative sentiments against demonetization. Yes, ordinary people are suffering, like they have always done. But people are by and large very happy with this move. But why cover only negative experiences, why can't the media also cover the positive reaction ???
    Raj V
    Nov 14, 2016 at 1:22 am
    This needs to be taken note of and rectiifed.