An apex body of NGOs has petitioned the Union Home Ministry, urging it to extend the date of FCRA renewal to December 31, fearing that otherwise many organisations awaiting renewed licenses will have to cease operations. Terming it as an “existential crisis” of the NGO sector, Voluntary Action Network India (VANI) said non-disbursement of renewals may halt major development projects as many voluntary organisations are involved in various flagship programs of the Centre.
Watch What Else Is Making News
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Several high profile NGOs have come under the scanner in the recent past for allegedly violating the provisions of FCRA (Foreign Contribution Regulation Act) that regulates the flow of foreign funds to them.
The Home Ministry’s FCRA wing had set June 31 as the deadline for renewal of application. Pending renewal, their licenses will stand terminated after October 31.
“VANI drafted a petition to the MHA appealing for extension of the date for validity to 31st December 2016 or to expedite the process of dispatching renewals so as to allay the fears of organisations and allow them to continue their operations,” it said in a statement.