Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan today held mobile phones responsible for rape of minors saying misuse of these gadgets by the younger generation has led to an alarming rise in such cases.
He also demanded that the Centre should take steps to divert the attention of the younger generation towards constructive activities.
“Two-and-a-half-year olds getting raped, why? It’s because of mobile phones. Even in villages people can download things,” he said in an apparent reference to the alleged rape of a two-and-a-half-year-old girl in Delhi last week.
“Rape cases have increased due to misuse of mobile phones by the younger generation. They watch dirty films on the mobile phones,” he claimed, adding, “these films show objectionable things.”
- UP minister Baldev Singh Aulakh assails Azam Khan over Taj remarks
- Demolish Parliament House, Rashtrapati Bhavan as well: Azam Khan on Taj Mahal controversy
- Azam says he is getting threats, to approach President against Governor
- Azam for bill on Muslim quota in jobs
- Akhilesh Yadav downplays 'row' with Azam Khan
- Man behind rift is now with Mayawati
His remark drew sharp criticism with former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeting, “Of course because rape & depravity didn’t exist before the arrival of smart phones!!!!”
Khan also alleged that the Narendra Modi-led government was in no mood to tolerate dissenting voices.
He cited Union Minister V K Singh’s “dog” remarks while referring to burning alive of two Dalit kids in Faridabad on Monday to attack the government.