Aamir Khan: Never thought of leaving India… was born here, will die here

Written by Sonup Sahadevan | Mumbai | Updated: January 26, 2016 4:54 pm
Aamir Khan intolerance, intolerance Aamir Khan, Aamir khan india, Aamir Khan rang de basanti, aamir khan news, india news Aamir Khan said that he never wanted to leave the country and his comments were taken out of context.

Actor Aamir Khan on Monday said that he “never thought about leaving the country” and that he was “born in India and will die in India”.

At an event to mark the 10th anniversary of Rang De Basanti, he said, “Some people could understand me and some couldn’t. Those who are hurt, I can understand their feelings. I would have been hurt had I been in their place because they were told something that was not true. They were told Aamir wants to leave the country. Let me tell you that I never said this. I was born in India and I will die in India. I never thought about leaving the country. Neither Kiran (Rao, his wife) nor will I think about it. In fact, when I stay away from the country for two weeks, I get homesick.”

Speaking at the Ramnath Goenka awards last November, Khan had said, “There is a sense of fear more than there was earlier. I do feel there is a sense of insecurity. When I sit at home and talk to Kiran. Kiran and I have lived all our lives in India. For the first time, she said, should we move out of India? That’s a disastrous and big statement for Kiran to make to me. She fears for her child. She fears about what the atmosphere around us will be. She feels scared to open newspapers everyday. That does indicate that there is a sense of growing disquiet… growing sense of despondency. You feel depressed, you feel low… why is it happening? This feeling exists in me too.”

Speaking on Monday, he said, “I never said Bharat desh is intolerant. Now, there are people who have negativity and positivity. Negative people spread negativity and decide to separate us. But India is a vast country. Every state has its own culture and diversity. I think ours is the only nation which is so diverse and yet so beautiful. Unity in diversity is our strength. And when someone tries to divide us, I get hurt.”
Stating that he would raise his voice against anything that threatens to make the country weak, Khan said, “Our PM has said unity is our strength and that one shouldn’t spread poison. I love my country. To people who are spreading negativity, I, with folded hands, ask them not to do so.”

He also asked those who question his patriotism to look at his work. “Why should I do Satyamev Jayate? It’s because I love my country. I feel happy that I am lending a hand in nation building. I belong to a freedom fighter’s family. My great-grand uncle was Maulana Abul Kalam Azad,” he said. Khan also said his wife had made him realise that he shouldn’t have shared their private conversation at a public platform.

“Our country is a beautiful example of unity in diversity. Take my family for instance. My wife is Hindu. My two sisters are married to Hindus — Farhat is married to Rajeev while Nikhat to Santosh. My cousin Mansoor Khan has married a Catholic. I have three kids and they are half-Hindu and half-Muslim,” he said. “Both Kiran and I never bring our religions into the picture. I am an Indian first and always will be an Indian.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

AIyer
    Jan 25, 2016 at 5:03 pm
    Now he is worried about his upcoming movie Dangal, well I was a fan not any more. Words came out of his heart when he said about Intolerance. Been his fan since I was a teen now I am in my forties. Amir u hurt a lot of patriotic fans.
      Sirius
      Jan 26, 2016 at 4:15 pm
      So you will not sing the national anthem unless you are given a certificate ? And, you will not stop a person from defacing the national flag unless you are given a certificate ? "PLZZ EXPLAIN"
        Sirius
        Jan 26, 2016 at 8:15 am
        Mr. Khan : You have insulted my nation and its people via your deable comments. I express my anguish by withdrawing my support for anything ociated with you or your extended family. "रहिमन धागा प्रेम का, मत तोरो चटकाय. टूटे पे फिर ना जुरे, जुरे गाँठ परी जाय."
          Sirius
          Jan 26, 2016 at 6:50 am
          Well said ! His quotes are from the 10th anniversary of a movie that itself promoted intolerance, I.e., killing of a political leader (noted similarity to PM Modi) because in their view he was *guilty * of purchasing sub-standard spares for IAF.
            Shiv.Sharma
            Jan 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm
            SATAN SANSTHA IS MOST TOLERANT TERRORIST ORG IN THE WORLD!
              DangalFlop
              Jan 26, 2016 at 6:39 am
              Too late to feel sorry for what you spoke. Now people of India will show you what tolerance is by NOT watching you movies. #DangalFlop
              1. F
                FekuSarkar
                Jan 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm
                Dil se jo baal nikalti he asar rakbti he!! He is saving you my friend.... This RSS thugs will ruin my beautiful india!!
                1. F
                  FekuSarkar
                  Jan 25, 2016 at 9:36 pm
                  I m proud of you amir.... The only actor who sticks to the truth n always fought the evil n wronged ideas....... Salute for standing up for me, n save my india... Jai hind.... Jai Amir
                  1. F
                    FekuSarkar
                    Jan 25, 2016 at 5:15 pm
                    Salute you Khan for speaking up.... India is a country of slaves and one master is ruling them!! Thanks for standing up and be my voice!! Jai Hind
                    1. G
                      Ganesh
                      Jan 25, 2016 at 6:56 pm
                      Reject this traitor. Stop watching his movies.
                      1. I
                        Irfan Khan
                        Jan 25, 2016 at 5:03 pm
                        Shame on you joker you said in front of CAMERA and you stick to that word after that statement everyone in my country start hates you moron know you are twisting you words SHAME MF get lost from my country we love our country and we will teach you lesson wait and watch joker people like you make MUSLIMS name bad we love this GOVT which is doing far better than CORRUPT CONGRESS GOONS I VOTED for BJP and I will VOTE ONLY BJP MODI showing great courage to develop our NATION not like CONGRESS PIGS any one dare to have debate on 19 months of MODI GOVT Vs CONGRESS LOOTERS looted my country more than 60 years I am proud to be INDIAN
                        1. C
                          Carry.on.With.Your.Work
                          Jan 25, 2016 at 6:14 pm
                          Who said India is intolerant . ONLY BRAHMINS SCOUNDRELS ARE INTOLERANT. SO WHY MIND THEM, SINCE THEY ARE JUST SCOUNDRELS!
                            Kalpesh Patel
                            Jan 25, 2016 at 9:06 pm
                            He is trying to campaign his movie Rang de basanti per ab Teri ye chhochhle vali bate True Indians ko ullooo nahi nana sakti. Tujse Kai guna achha actor he Akshay Kumar.
                              Kush
                              Jan 26, 2016 at 1:03 pm
                              Amir was singled out because he was talking about our great nation Bharat Desh. He has all rights to criticise government and its policies but not Bharat Desh
                              1. E
                                einstein
                                Jan 26, 2016 at 3:06 am
                                AK is a gud human
                                  Miley
                                  Jan 26, 2016 at 2:21 am
                                  She should think of what would happen to her if she leaves India. The type of tolerance she is looking for can't be found in UK, US, China or any western countries due to what they have suffered so far. The remaining best option is stan for her. She will be raped, murdered or become wife of someone with 5 wifes already. She can wear barkha, produce 10 kids and become female slave there. Go Kiran !!!!
                                    Dadoo
                                    Jan 25, 2016 at 4:57 pm
                                    Had Indians been intolerant our film industry and actors would have never flourished and actors would never have mademillioon rather billions of dollars of which they r boastful today
                                      Rahim
                                      Jan 25, 2016 at 7:43 pm
                                      You called Indians as "intolerant", Can you go and live in stan, or Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, and any Muslim country, and tell us how tolerant these countries are for you?
                                        Raja
                                        Jan 27, 2016 at 4:07 am
                                        It seems he did some research to find out a country less intolerant that India and couldn't find any in the w world. "Jhakh maar ke" now he will have to stay in India. But as soon as Syria or Iran or Yemen or some other such country become more tolerant he sure would migrate.
                                          Ramesh Pau
                                          Jan 25, 2016 at 7:05 pm
                                          I was very much hert when he gave those comments . He was lying when he said that words. I feel he must leave or quit India. We just came from holiday in India .there was no such thing there .i also spoke to many people about this . Majority said he can leave we don't care .so please try to understand us and quit India.
                                            Dilip
                                            Jan 25, 2016 at 5:47 pm
                                            I've heard his w speech and he is a liar. I equally blame Indian Express for providing platform to such liars. The newspaper should have soon distanced itself