The presence of Nepalese protesters on the streets of London during PM Narendra Modi’s visit has taken the visiting Indian delegation by surprise. The PMO has asked for a report from Indian High Commission on the scale of the protests and their influence in British society, sources told The Indian Express.
As Modi came out of 10 Downing Street Thursday, the protesters shouted slogans. They were within audible distance from where Modi and British PM Cameron were garlanding a statue of Mahatma Gandhi at London square. NSA Ajit Doval was seen trying to gauge the protesters, who shouted “Back Off India” and held placards saying “remove blockade”. The protesters criticised UK for ‘rolling out the red carpet’ for Modi, and said Cameron should pressure him to stop blockading roads to Nepal.
“While protesters on Gujarat riots and Sikh groups were expected, what surprised us were Nepalese protesters. The High Commission will send a report,” a source said.
The India-UK joint statement made a reference to India-Nepal ties, saying the two PMs “stressed the importance of a lasting and inclusive constitutional settlement in Nepal that will address the remaining areas of concern and promote political stability and economic growth”. The two countries also decided to deepen their cooperation in the region by holding a “new annual senior official dialogue on South Asia, including maritime issues”.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More