Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday called up his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi and assured swift action against the perpetrators of the Pathankot air base attack in which seven soldiers were killed.
Modi received a call this afternoon from the Prime Minister of Pakistan regarding the terrorist attack on the Pathankot airbase, the PMO said.
During the telephonic conversation, Modi “strongly emphasized the need for Pakistan to take firm and immediate action against the organizations and individuals responsible for and linked to the Pathankot terrorist attack,” the PMO said in a statement.
According to the PMO, specific and actionable information regarding Pathankot attack has already been provided to Pakistan.
The National Investigative Agency, which is probing the case, has also said that it will seek help of Pakistan once the identity
of people contacted by the perpetrators is established.
- India, Pakistan NSAs talked last month, Delhi confronts Islamabad on Pathankot
- After release, Hafiz Saeed rails against India, Pakistan ex-PM Nawaz Sharif
- No reason to distrust Pakistan so early: Rajnath Singh on Pathankot probe
- Government says ‘talks’ ball in Pakistan court, seeks ‘prompt’ action
- Manohar Parrikar says all six terrorists killed, Pathankot airbase combing still underway
- Pathankot attack: Sixth terrorist neutralised, combing operations to end tomorrow
Meanwhile, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters that all six terrorists, involved in the attack, have been eliminated by the security forces.
Parrikar admitted to “some gaps” that led to the terror attack on the Air Force base. “There is no suspected terrorist inside right now. (still) I will not give a negative report till the combing operations are over. The combing operations may be over by tomorrow,” he said in reply to questions.
The information and leads, like the Pakistani numbers which the attackers had called and their intercepts, are understood to have been passed on by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval.
The attackers had reportedly made several calls to Pakistan, some of them brief and some long.
Pakistan Foreign Ministry last night said it is working on the “leads” provided by India on the terror attack.
Extending Pakistan’s deepest condolences to the Government and people of India on the “unfortunate terrorist incident” in Pathankot, a statement by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, “We understand the pain of many families who have lost their dear ones in this tragedy, as Pakistan itself is a major victim of terrorism.”
Noting that the terror attack has been categorically condemned by Pakistan, the spokesperson said, “In line with Pakistan’s commitment to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism, the Government is in touch with the Indian government and is working on the leads provided by it.”
The statement, however, did not give details of the “leads” provided by India.
It also said that India and Pakistan should remain “committed” to a sustained dialogue process.
“Living in the same region and with a common history, the two countries should remain committed to a sustained dialogue process,” it said, adding, “The challenge of terrorism calls for strengthening our resolve to a cooperative approach.”
(With inputs from PTI)