AFTER RECEIVING accolades from Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the initiative of inviting infant girls to Republic Day celebrations and giving front row seats to their parents, the Haryana Education Department has mooted another proposal to make girls feel special.
The education department proposes to pick a day every month when the birthdays of all the girl students that fall in that particular month would be celebrated. The department plans to link the initiative to the mid-day meal scheme and invitations to the event will be sent to village panchayats.
The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has also directed all states to ensure community participation for one day every month for mid-day meals. The education department has decided to link it with ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’, the flagship programme of the NDA government.
- Pains me to see people being persuaded to save the girl child: PM Modi in Rajasthan
- International Women’s Day: Daughters are not burden, mother-in-law should protect girl child, says PM Modi
- On International Women’s Day, PM Modi to launch Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme in over 400 districts
- As sex-ratio worsens, govt plans to rope in religious leaders to ‘change mindset’
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao vs Kanyashree: Centre seeks overall development, state provides limited financial aid, says K N Tripathi
- Over 1,200 govt schools in state have no toilet for girls
An education department official said instead of the food that is served as part of the mid-day meal on regular days, special sweets would be made on that particular day.
However, an education department official said since the mid-day meal budget will not be sufficient for this activity, contributions in the form of food items will be sought from residents of respective villages.