AFTER RECEIVING accolades from Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the initiative of inviting infant girls to Republic Day celebrations and giving front row seats to their parents, the Haryana Education Department has mooted another proposal to make girls feel special.
The education department proposes to pick a day every month when the birthdays of all the girl students that fall in that particular month would be celebrated. The department plans to link the initiative to the mid-day meal scheme and invitations to the event will be sent to village panchayats.
The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has also directed all states to ensure community participation for one day every month for mid-day meals. The education department has decided to link it with ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’, the flagship programme of the NDA government.
- Haryana logs best sex ratio in 16 years
- Gujarat Assembly polls: 'Congress will provide free sanitary pads to girl students'
- Rahul Gandhi again attacks PM Modi, asks him to speak on Jay Shah row
- PM Modi should apologise over BHU incident: Rahul Gandhi
- 'Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao' has helped improve Haryana's sex ratio: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Over 1,200 govt schools in state have no toilet for girls
An education department official said instead of the food that is served as part of the mid-day meal on regular days, special sweets would be made on that particular day.
However, an education department official said since the mid-day meal budget will not be sufficient for this activity, contributions in the form of food items will be sought from residents of respective villages.