Hours after Nabha jailbreak, a woman was killed in police firing at Patiala’s Samana after the vehicle she was travelling in allegedly tried to speed through a check-post set up near the Punjab-Haryana border. The victim, Neha, was part of a five-woman entertainment group called Arman that was on its way to Kaithal in Haryana for a wedding. Another motorcyclist, who was passing by, also sustained gunshot injuries. The incident took place at about 11.30 am.
Watch What Else Is Making News
After the jail break, Punjab and Haryana Police had been put on high alert. A team comprising four Punjab police officers led by an Inspector had put up a check post on the Samana-Kaithal road. They signalled a Swift Dzire car (HR-60B-2657) to stop, but the driver reportedly tried to speed past. Police then opened fire at the car.
Three bullets hit the car and Neha died on the spot. Two bullets also hit a motorcyclist, Kala Singh of Dirba town in Sangrur. He was taken to a hospital.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Inspector Harvinder Singh Khaira, who was leading the police party that had put up the check-post, said, “I was on the spot. Since the driver did not stop the car despite police signal and tried to run us over, one of us opened fire. The injured were rushed to the hospital”.
Soon after the incident, a protest broke out at the incident site. An angry mob held constable Shamsher Singh hostage. He was released only after senior police officers reached the spot and intervened. Rights activists have demanded probe.