The UP Police Sunday evening recovered a Toyota Fortuner SUV reportedly used by armed men who helped six inmates escape from the Nabha jail, and arrested the driver of the vehicle in Shamli. The driver has been identified as Palwinder Singh (35) of Jalandhar. Shamli SP, Ajay Pal, said that Singh was the mastermind of the jailbreak, adding that a huge cache of firearms was recovered from the vehicle. Police reportedly found an SLR, three rifles and large amount of cartridges from the SUV.
Watch What Else Is Making News
DIG, Saharanpur, JK Shahi, said they were alerted by Punjab Police about the vehicle used in the crime entering UP. A police constable deployed at Kairana town spotted the vehicle in the afternoon. A police team then chased the vehicle, and nabbed the driver after he tried to abandon it and escape.
The same Toyota Fortuner that was seized in Shamli had earlier in the day been spotted by Haryana Police in Kaithal. However, the driver did not stop, broke the police check post and sped away.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Singh has now been placed under arrest at the Kairana kotwali police station in Shamli. UP Police have informed their counterparts in Punjab about Palwinder Singh’s arrest.
Singh is a key absconding member of Vicky Gounder gang. He is also an accused in the murder of a Punjab police Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Gurdev Singh in Jalandhar in 2013. On March 29, Singh had escaped from police custody after firing at police personnel at Civil Hospital, Nabha.
“He has admitted in his interrogation that he facilitated the Nabha jailbreak,” an investigating officer with the Shamli police said. Punjab Police officials, who were in touch with Shamli police, also confirmed Singh’s arrest. A team of Punjab Police has been sent to Shamli to seek his custody.