A 38-year-old woman employee was allegedly raped and then murdered Friday night in a paper mill owned by local BSP MLA Noor Saleem Rana in Sikhera police station area of Muzaffarnagar district. Two persons — labourer contractor Khursheed and his brother Mohammad Sameer, who is also a worker at the mill — have been named in the police complaint lodged by the victim’s husband in this connection.
Police suspect that she was raped before being strangulated to death on Friday in the mill at Jansath Road, where she worked as a labourer.
“The incident took place around 7:30 pm on Friday. I got the information from the MLA,” said Yogesh Sharma, station officer of Sikhera police station.
- Move to withdraw 131 Muzaffarnagar riot cases: My father-in-law is dead; someone must have killed him, says victim’s kin
- Titwala rape and murder: Woman describes attacker, cops prepare sketch
- Youth shot dead, friend raped by roadside near Thane, no leads so far
- Body of missing 11-year-old girl found in Ludhiana
- Nine-year old domestic help murdered in Ludhiana
- Man found dead in Muzaffarnagar drain, kin claim he was murdered
SP, City, Santosh Kumar Mishra told The Sunday Express that they have collected the CCTV footage from the mill which will be used to identify the accused. While the autopsy report did not confirm sexual assault, the forensic test results are still awaited which will help confirm if the victim was raped, added Mishra.
Search is on for Khursheed and Sameer who are currently absconding.
Meanwhile, family members of the victim and area locals staged a blockade at Jansath Road demanding the arrest of the accused as well as compensation for the woman’s family. The blockade was removed only after SSP Deepak Kumar and other senior officials assured the protesters of sending a letter to the state government seeking compensation for her family.
When contacted, MLA Rana told The Sunday Express that he received the information about woman’s murder on Friday and immediately informed the police.
“This is a shocking incident. I was not in the city when the incident took place,” Rana said.