Mathrubhumi, a leading Malayalam daily in Kerala, put out an apology on its front page today after it printed a purportedly offensive comment curated from social media on Prophet Muhammad in its Kozhikode and Thrissur editions on Wednesday.
The apology came after enraged Muslim organisations held protests outside the newspaper’s offices. Groups like the Popular Front of India (PFI) said the comment hurt the sentiments of the community.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The newspaper in its apology said the comment, that was picked up from social media, was added as a reaction to the speech made by Justice Kemal Pasha on the topic ‘Law against domestic abuse’ at a seminar. The judge also faces heat from Muslim scholars for saying that Muslim women faced discrimination under the Muslim personal law.
“We understand the comments hurt the sentiments of followers. We apologise deeply for the error,” the newspaper said. Mathrubhumi also confirmed that it would take appropriate action against those responsible for the ‘careless’ mistake.
The newspaper management additionally requested the state government to take appropriate action against such comments that are posted on social media.