Maharashtra’s mangrove cell has prepared a technical estimate of Rs six crore for the construction of a fence in areas across the city which vulnerable to encroachment.
The estimate has been submitted to the state government, which will be cleared once finance ministry gives its approval, Chief Conservator of Forest N Vasudevan told PTI on Tuesday.
“The actual construction of fence will begin in January so that a continued stretch till June will be utilised. A sizeable stretch would be fenced before the beginning of the monsoon season. The maps and routes of the wall are already finalised. The cell is waiting for finance department’s approval,” Vasudevan said.
In the aftermath of popular stand-up comedian Kapil Sharma episode of encroachment on mangrove land and other similar incidents, Maharashtra’s Mangrove Cell had announced construction of a fence with Rs 20 crore budget for the project.
“Mumbai has total 5,469 hectares of mangrove land, which is notified as a reserved forest. Of this, 2-3 per cent is vulnerable to encroachments and in many pockets, it has been encroached,” Vasudevan said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The cell would also use other measures such as CCTV and satellite based monitoring to keep a check on encroachments.
Most of the encroachments have taken place in areas like Colaba, Trombay, Malvani and Charkop, the senior officer said.