The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) suffered an embarrassment after it’s own MLA Damanveer Singh Phillaur toed the Opposition line by saying that Chief Parliamentary Secretary (CPS) Avinash Chander should resign from the post till the time he is not cleared by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in multi-crore Bhola drug racket.
Chander has already been summoned five times by ED in the case.
- Bhola drugs case: ED takes over two attached properties of key accused
- Punjab money laundering case: Former minister, SAD leader figure in ED chargesheet
- Punjab polls: Denied ticket, SAD MLA Avinash Chander quits party, Assembly
- Punjab: Six-time SAD MLA resigns from party
- SAD MLA Avinash Chander, kin fail to show up at ED office again
- Drug racket case: Now, ED summons SAD MLA’s wife, brother
Phillaur, who is representing the Kartarpur Vidhan Sabha assembly segment, while speaking to The Indian Express said that after Chander his family members are also being summoned by the Enforcement Directorate.
“Every time he (Chander) goes to ED office, the opposition parties gather there and demand his resignation from the post of CPS. They also hurl objectionable language against the SAD which is not in good taste ahead of the 2017 assembly elections ,” said Damanveer.
“Till the time the investigation is on, he should resign on moral grounds to protect the image of the party. After he gets a clean chit, he can again take up the post of CPS,” he said. The morale of the party workers is affected after witnessing such anti-party demonstrations outside the ED office, he added.
It may be recalled that Damanveer was also summoned by the ED in the multi-crore drug racket following which his father(Sarwan Singh Phillaur) had to resign from the post of cabinet minister.
Damanveer had also appeared before the ED under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act in which Chander is being summoned.