ONE PERSON was killed and another injured after a two-wheeler was crushed by a speeding BMW car late Monday evening on the Airport Road near TDI city. The collision was so powerful that both vehicles caught fire. The driver of the car managed to flee. A second person riding the two-wheeler was admitted to the civil hospital in Phase VI. Eyewitnesses said the driver of the BMW too was injured.
Balongi police said that the dead man had been identified as Gagandeep Singh, a resident of Srao village in Sangrur district, while the person admitted to the hospital was his friend Chamkaur Singh, also from the same village. According to eyewitnesses, the accident happened around 8.30 pm when Gagandeep Singh and Chamkaur Singh were going from Kharar towards Mohali on an Activa scooter. When the duo reached a bridge on the airport road, they took a U-turn towards Kharar. Sanjay, an employee of a nearby liquor vend, told Chandigarh Newsline that as the scooter was making the turn, a BMW car going from Mohali towards Kharar hit the two-wheeler.
“The car was at a high speed. It hit the two-wheeler and the driver also lost control of it. Both the men who were on the two-wheeler fell on the road due to the impact of the collision. The Activa got stuck under the car and the car dragged it a few metres away from the accident spot,” added Sanjay. Arvind, another eyewitness, said that when the car stopped after dragging the scooter a few metres, the driver came out of it and within few seconds, it caught fire and both the vehicles were engulfed in flames. The driver, according to Arvind, managed to flee unnoticed by the gathering crowd that was trying to rescue the injured man.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Arvind also said that the BMW bore a temporary registration number of Chandigarh. The investigating officer of the case, Assistant Sub-Inspector Dilbag Singh, said that both Gagandeep and Chamkaur Singh were taken to the hospital where doctors declared Gagandeep brought dead while Chamkaur Singh had been admitted to the hospital.
Dilbag Singh said that he examined the accident spot along with the fire brigade officials and found that the vehicles caught fire after the fuel tank of the Activa scooter got leaked due to the impact of the collision. “We have registered a case against an unidentified person and started the investigation. The driver of the car will be arrested soon,” added Dilbagh Singh. Asked about the victims, Dilbagh Singh said that Chamkaur Singh was not in a state to record his statement and they were verifying where both the men lived in the city and what they did.