Teary eyed Modi takes on rivals, reaches out to people on demonetisation

His lips trembled and there were long pauses when, fighting back tears, he said, "My dear countrymen, I gave up everything...my home, my family. I gave up everything I had for this country."

By: PTI | Panaji/belagavi/baramati | Updated: November 14, 2016 12:14 pm
modi, modi speech, modi demonetisation pm modi, narendra modi, banks, atm, 500 notes, currency, congress, opposition, modi currency, black money, modi black money, corruption Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressing the gathering during foundation stone laying ceremony of Greenfield Airport in Mopa, Goa on Sunday. PTI Photo (PTI11_13_2016_000054B)

Blending emotion with aggression, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday mounted a counteroffensive against the opposition over demonetisation of high-value currency notes, promising more anti-graft measures in future “even if I am burned alive”. Taking the opposition, particularly Congress, head on for targeting his government over demonetisation, Modi said those involved in mega scams were now standing in queues to exchange Rs 4000.

“They thought if they pull my hair, I will stop and do nothing. I will not be cowed down. I will not stop doing these things, even if you burn me alive,” Modi said addressing a function in Panaji, turning emotional and aggressive in turn.

WATCH VIDEO: PM Modi Reveals How He Planned Demonetisation Gradually In 10 Months

Making an emotional but combative speech, he said he was ready to face the consequences of his moves as certain forces were “up against me” because their “70 years of loot” was in trouble as a result of demonetisation. “I know that (some) forces are up against me, they may not let me live, they may ruin me because their loot of 70 years is in trouble, but I am prepared,” Modi said.

His lips trembled and there were long pauses when, fighting back tears, he said, “My dear countrymen, I gave up everything…my home, my family. I gave up everything I had for this country.”

Under unrelenting opposition attack over demonetisation of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 currency notes and the misery it has brought for the common people, Modi said,”This government does not want to bother honest people but doesn’t want to spare the dishonest. Bear with me for 50 days. Has India been looted or not? ….. I am not going to stop at this. I will expose the history of corruption of 70 years since Independence.”

The Prime Minister declared the war against corruption will not end with the current demonetisation exercise and that he would now target those owning benami property.

“This (demonetisation) is not an end. I have more projects in mind to make India corruption-free. …. We will take action against ‘benami’ property. This is major step to eradicate corruption and black money … If any money that was looted in India and has left Indian shores, it is our duty to find out about it,” he said addressing functions in Panaji, Belagavi in Karnataka and Baramati in Maharashtra.

WATCH VIDEO: Demonetisation: Arvind Kejriwal, Kapil Sibal, Akhilesh Yadav Slam Modi Govt

Apparently tartgeting Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, one of the most vocal critics of his demonetisation exercise who vented his anger against the government action after exchanging money at a bank recently, Modi said,”Those who were involved in the coal scam, 2G scam and other scams, now have to stand in queues to exchange Rs 4000.”

“When Congress banned 25 paise, did we say anything? You could dare to stop only 25 paise, that’s what your power was limited to. But you did not make higher denomination currency notes illegal. … We did it. People have chosen a government and they expect so much from it,” he said.

He said the people had voted against corruption in 2014 when they elected him to lead the country.

“I am doing what I was asked to do by the people of this country. This had become clear from the very first meeting of my Cabinet when I formed the SIT (on blackmoney). We never kept the people in dark.”

“Soon after assuming power, a Supreme Court monitored Special Investigation Team was formed to investigate the black money parked outside the country. Previous governments neglected this. Did I hide anything? We took a key step to help the honest citizens defeat the menace of corruption.

“We collected Rs 67,000 crore under amnesty scheme. But in the last two years, through raids, surveys and declarations, the government has collected Rs 1,25,000 crore in its exchequer … I kept on administering small doses of medicine to improve the economic situation of the country since I came to power,” Modi said, referring to the Jan Dhan scheme aimed at financial inclusion.

Talking about efforts that preceded the demonetisation, the Prime Minister said it was “a secret operation I started 10 months back and had formed a small team.

“The secret operation was of course not the one like (Defence Minister Manohar) Parrikar had launched (surgical strike in PoK). We had to print new currency notes and take other steps in secret”, otherwise the corrupt would have found other ways to deal with the situation.

Stressing on the need to go cashless in transactions, he said, “There is talk about a cashless society and we should shift to plastic money. That’s why we have removed all taxes from debit and credit cards in the budget.”

He also asked to the people not to panic “by exchanging Rs 500 for Rs 300” and get the full value of their hard earned money. “When common people are facing hardship, I too feel bad about it. Please don’t consider the decision (regarding demonetisation) as my arrogance. I do understand the problems that the countrymen are currently facing but this inconvenience and suffering will last only till December 30. Once the cleansing is over, not even a mosquito will be there,” he said, adding “there is pain due to demonetisation but more to gain.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

1. H
    Humanbeing
    Nov 13, 2016 at 5:10 pm
    U cried and get emotional...u just want to clean the country...first clean u r politics and rbi cheif and his frndshp with reliance ceo...y jio launched for free 4g till dec 30...to clean all mny which have no tax payments..and y cant u came and stand in crowrd and collect 4000 once..saying is easy experiencing the truth...many people have commit suicide...u r only thinking about black mny white mny and loosing humanity....the people in u r support are only those u r doing corporate jobs and depends on debit and credits and once normal people stop their bussiness where those people will eat drink..grow up guys...its not a bold decision its bloody decision...lt;br/gt;May b modi ji do for good for people...what they get in return by collect all taxes...lt;br/gt;The same hikes in needs...lt;br/gt;Many many people are suffering yaar....feared people killing themselves...lt;br/gt;Have u all lost humanity....we all know where the mny is....and modi ji says scam scam if he know what happend y cant he take direct actions......
    1. G
      Ganesh
      Nov 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm
      We always there with you modji, our mission will be successful with corruption free country.lt;br/gt;Everybody who are the honest citizen of our country will support and follow you for all improvement for india.
      1. H
        Hari
        Nov 13, 2016 at 6:42 pm
        There is mive conspiracy being hatched by the anti-national mafia - Congies, Commies, most communal parties who call themselves as secular parties to stop the governments move on black money. The most corrupt media press-tutes are more than willing to sabotage the government intiative, because the press-tutes have alwasy been partner in corruption along with the Congies. Government must ignore these barking dogs.
          Seenivasagam
          Nov 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm
          He is a just politician so he can talk whatever
            Seenivasagam
            Nov 13, 2016 at 4:49 pm
            Ok sir will take care of dealers and distributors? If he can handle that i will be the great person for aiming how the india should be
              Seenivasagam
              Nov 13, 2016 at 4:30 pm
              If he demolish dealers and distributora in india. India is the biggest country in the world in finance and technology
                Seenivasagam
                Nov 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
                This is more than that blackmoney holders. Actually where is the black money. Only on big businessmens and Politicians. But only politicians can take the decisions not by the people
                  Seenivasagam
                  Nov 13, 2016 at 4:47 pm
                  We seened lot in a movie.
                    Seenivasagam
                    Nov 13, 2016 at 7:52 pm
                    So whatever may be .. one question he doesn't have 500 or 1000 rs inhand. When he will exchange it into legal money.. so we can see him on live
                      Kds
                      Nov 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm
                      Yes it is the time the nation should support its honest courageous PM.All the powerful corrupted lobby are after him.They have appointed some dogs to bark on their behalf.its an uneven fight our PM has begun.A fight against dishonest powerful lobby.A battle of honest Indian vs dishonest part.All the corrupted political jombies have exposed themselves by opposing this great move to clean the dirty money.Long live our PM.
                        Manish
                        Nov 13, 2016 at 2:54 pm
                        Pls stop drama..we have seen enough..
                        1. E
                          Economist
                          Nov 13, 2016 at 3:48 pm
                          Demonitization would have huge negative economic impact.. Informal economy is back bone of India but modi is breaking this bone just to increase tax revenue for currupt politician and government.. It will not improve economy but worsen it . In future all people will save their money in dollars instead ..or keep I. Outside country capital flight. May hundred thousands carrots will be burnt or dump in earth.. Huge loss of wealth is ensuref
                          1. F
                            Free Indian
                            Nov 14, 2016 at 2:12 am
                            Crocodile tears
                              MyTake
                              Nov 13, 2016 at 8:19 pm
                              [Reaching out to the harried people, Modi said,”if you find anything wrong with my intentions or my actions, hang me in public. I promise you I will give you the India which you desired. If someone faces problem, I also feel the pain. I understand their problem but this is only for 50 days and after 50 days we succeed in this cleansing.”]lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;People know what is going on. They are behind you all the way.
                              1. N
                                Navjyot
                                Nov 13, 2016 at 8:04 pm
                                Nobody is bigger comedians than Rahul hi... lt;br/gt;1. Modiji, doodh kaun deta hai, ye maa behane deti hai......lt;br/gt;2. For ending corruption, I will empower women lt;br/gt;3. Alu ki factory to sarkar laga sakti hai... mai to sirf dabav dal sakta hu....lt;br/gt;4. Went to have lunch with poor school boys.... and used special dish and mineral water...lt;br/gt;5. Sta with a poor woman in hut for few hours and forgot his promise.... did no help but in fact added to her expenses lt;br/gt;6. Souit boot ki sarkar.... same month went to US and wore expensive suit and had good nap there...lt;br/gt;7. Went to exchange 4000 rupees in a 2 crores car and bodyguards.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Many stories of this dumb guy..... who has no sense forget about common sense
                                1. N
                                  Neeraj
                                  Nov 13, 2016 at 7:02 pm
                                  Karnataka BJP president BS dyurappa is a happy man these days. Ever since a special CBI court in the city acquitted him of graft charges. On one hand Modi giving Clean chits to BJP corrupt politicians like BS dyrappa and all those arrested in Vyapam scam and melgoan blast. On the other hand common people and oppostion parties are targets. What a dirty politics before UP, Punjab, Goa, Uttaranchal, and Gujarat elections.
                                    Pankaj jain
                                    Nov 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
                                    Modi you are a AVATAR like LORD RAM on earth. We are with u.
                                      Ramesh
                                      Nov 13, 2016 at 10:17 pm
                                      Most stupid comment. Modiji Videsh kaam karne jaate hain, sair sapata karne nahin. A measure of this magnitude to root out black money and corruption is bound to be painful, but at the end the prices of everyday essential commodities /real estate and jewelry will come down. Those segments of society (More 95%) who have no black money, have nothing to worry about in the long run. People wake up, no Prime Minister has worked so hard and provided selfless service. People should realise, if he succeeds India succeeds. Political leaders (Rahul hi and his surrogates, Kejriwal, Mullah Singh Yadfav, Lalu Yadav, Mamta Bannerji, Uddha Thakrey and CPM Leades) who oppose anything and everything this PM does should have no space in public debate.
                                      1. T
                                        Tinku
                                        Nov 13, 2016 at 2:46 pm
                                        Again Jumla baji started..he told he will distribute 15 lakhs within 100 days..now telling 60 days to weed out black money..but bhakts are still happy with him!!!
                                          A
                                          Nov 13, 2016 at 5:11 pm
                                          Love and respect from an ordinary. really ordinary citizen of the nation........app jiyo hazaro saal.....left with Rs 30 in cash...but no problem...respect...need political will and courage to take such steps which was lacking in India since long time....Respect...jai hind.....
                                            Stonecold
                                            Nov 13, 2016 at 4:45 pm
                                            This is not a soap opera . This is real life . Real people . Real suffering . A g emotional speech doesn't change the reality. Your poorly planned and executed drama is neither surprising nor shocking. In India everyday is like this . Everything done by government of India since independence has been unplanned and an eyewash . Our biggest enemy is the government of India and not black money .