Mewat gangrape, murder: Haryana all set to hand over case to CBI

After the CBI agrees to take over the investigation, the Centre shall issue a notification under Section 5 of the DSPE Act for the CBI to take over the case.

By: Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published:September 15, 2016 2:26 am
mewat gangrape, gangrape, haryana gangrape, haryana murder, mewat murder, murder, dingerheri village gangrape, tauru police station, indian express news, delhi, delhi news Investigators at the village. Source: (Express Photo: Manoj Kumar)

The Haryana government has finalised all the requisite formalities to hand over the probe into the Mewat double-murder and gangrape case to the CBI. The notification in this regard is likely to be issued in a couple of days.

As part of the procedure, the state government shall be issuing the notification of consent under Section 6 of the Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act 1946 and refer the case to the Centre for its final nod. Based on the state government’s notification, the Centre shall seek CBI’s comment before deciding upon the state’s request.

After the CBI agrees to take over the investigation, the Centre shall issue a notification under Section 5 of the DSPE Act for the CBI to take over the case.

“The required formalities are almost complete and notification shall be issued in a day or so. The case shall then be taken over by CBI”, one of the senior officers of Haryana government confirmed to The Indian Express.

After certain allegations of inadequate investigation by the state police came to the fore, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar had announced that if complainants were not satisfied with the police investigation, the government shall hand it over to the CBI for a fair and thorough investigation.

Till date, the state police have arrested four accused identified as Sandeep, Karanjeet, Amarjeet and Rahul. While the first three belong to Dingarheri’s neighbouring village Mohammadpur Ahir, Rahul is a native of Bihar.

The Haryana Police had come under criticism and public outrage, following the brutal incident that took place in a farmhouse near Manesar-Palwal expressway in the village last month.

One of the rape victims, in her statement to the police had also revealed that at the time of the attack, the accused were calling each other by “Muslim names”. “There was a Quran lying at a place in the house, which fell down on the floor during the attack. None of the accused realised that it was the holy book. Had they been Muslims, they would have immediately reacted. It was then that the complainant claims she pointed out that they cannot disrespect Quran like this. Upon this, one of the accused picked it up and placed it back. It was enough of a hint that they were not Muslims but had forged their identities”, another senior officer told The Indian Express.

Though one of the rape victims had been alleging that the accused were members of some cow-vigilante group, police have so far not corroborated the victim’s allegation.

According to the police, victims had also changed their statements in the last fortnight. As per the police records, victims did not mention anything about “beef” or any “cow-vigilante group” in their statements recorded before the Magistrate under Section 164 of the CrPc. A delegation of residents met some top officers of the Haryana Police, but did not mention anything in this regard.

“The original allegation of the complainants was that the assailants decamped with cash between Rs 5,000 and Rs10,000. They also murdered two members of the family. However, a few days ago, the complainant alleged that Rs 5 lakh was stolen,” one of the senior police officers told The Indian Express.