Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) on Saturday banned media coverage at the premises of Golden Temple on June 6, the 32nd anniversary of Operation Bluestar. The order in this connection was passed by SGPC Chief Secretary Harcharan Singh.
In a letter written to Police Commissioner Amar Singh Chahal and District Public Relation Officer Sherjang Singh Hundal, Harcharan Singh sought help of the police to keep the media away from the periphery of Golden Temple on June 6 morning when the anniversary of Operation Bluestar is to be observed.
- Why the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee thinks GST is an unfair burden
- Media not banned form entering Golden Temple on 32nd anniversary of Operation blue star: SGPC
- ‘Desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib’: No fireworks at Golden Temple this Diwali
- SGPC honours kin of Vaidyas assassins,then denies it
- Now,Ramdev backs Bluestar Memorial
- Op Bluestar memorial gets SGPC nod
Singh said media has always interfered in the SGPC programme, hence press coverage for electronic media as well as photo journalists will not be allowed as it may hurt sentiments of Sikh devotees.
Confirming the SGPC orders, Hundal said Harcharan Singh spoke to him over phone after sending a copy of orders to his office.
‘Akali Dal Amritsar’ led by Simranjit Singh Mann’s General Secretary Jarnail Singh Sakira while condemning the order said it was highly unfortunate since such order were not passed even during the Operation Blue Star in June in 1984.