- Chandan Gupta murder case: Another accused surrenders in court
- Kasganj violence: Main accused arrested in Chandan Gupta murder case; UP govt submits report to Home Ministry
- Jawahar Bagh violence: Police names 101 in chargesheet
- Mathura violence: Man who ‘collected funds’ for cult held from Badaun
- Mathura violence: Cult leader told followers police will never attack women, children
- Mathura violence: Police arrest prime accused and his wife
The Basti police Wednesday arrested Chandan Bose along with his wife, said to be the second-in-command of Ram Vriksh Yadav, leader of the cult group which had encroached Jawahar Bagh in Mathura.
Police said Chandan (42), who was on the run and carried a reward of Rs 5,000 on his head, had escaped with his wife Poonam following the violent clash with police on June 2 in which 29 people, including two senior officers, were killed.
Police had received a tip-off that the couple were hiding in Kaithwalia village under Parshurampur police station limits in Basti district.
The two were arrested Wednesday morning from near Chandan’s in-laws’ house, said Additional SP, Basti, Rohit Mishra, and added that both were produced before the court which has sent them to Mathura on transit remand.
Chandan, accused of inciting the violence on June 2, told police he was a native of West Bengal and had shifted to Ludhiana about 20 years ago.
He ran a small garment business and claimed to have came in contact with Ram Vriksh Yadav during the latter’s visit to Ludhiana a few years ago, police said.
“He claimed that he was staying at Jawahar Bagh with his wife since 2014,” the ASP said.
When contacted, SSP Mathura Babloo Kumar said Chandan is accused in 13 cases including one of murder.
His wife Poonam, who was the leader of cult group’s women’s wing, is also an accused in the murder case, Kumar added.
Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Daljeet Singh had earlier said that police had identified Ram Vriksh Yadav, Chandan Bose, Girish Yadav and Rakesh Gupta as the main culprits following the clash.