In a joint operation conducted by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the Maharashtra ATS, Abdul Sheikh was arrested for being an alleged ‘sympathiser’ of the dreaded terrorist group Islamic State.
Sheikh, a resident of Mumbra, a satellite township of Mumbai, was produced in an NIA court and was booked under certain provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and the Indian penal code.
NIA along with various state counter-terrorism agencies are carrying out nation-wide raids and there are reports that 14 people have been arrested in those raids.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The raids come at a time when there have been heightened intelligence reports that the ISIS is planning an attack in India through its sympathizers recruited online. Security has been strengthened in the national capital as well as in state capitals ahead of Republic Day. French President Francois Hollande will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade this year.
(With inputs from Rashmi Rajput in Mumbai)