In a joint operation conducted by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the Maharashtra ATS, Abdul Sheikh was arrested for being an alleged ‘sympathiser’ of the dreaded terrorist group Islamic State.
Sheikh, a resident of Mumbra, a satellite township of Mumbai, was produced in an NIA court and was booked under certain provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and the Indian penal code.
NIA along with various state counter-terrorism agencies are carrying out nation-wide raids and there are reports that 14 people have been arrested in those raids.
The raids come at a time when there have been heightened intelligence reports that the ISIS is planning an attack in India through its sympathizers recruited online. Security has been strengthened in the national capital as well as in state capitals ahead of Republic Day. French President Francois Hollande will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade this year.
(With inputs from Rashmi Rajput in Mumbai)
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More