AAP legislator Naresh Yadav, booked in the Malerkotla Quran desecration case, was grilled for around five hours by police at the Crime Investigation Agency(CIA) office in Patiala on Tuesday.
Sources said that the police were not satisfied with his answers and that they would call him for questioning again.
“Although Yadav accepted that he met (main accused Vijay) Kumar on June 24 at his residence, he could not give us details of the meeting,” said Pritpal Singh Thind, SSP, Sangrur. “We had prepared around 100 questions for him, of which we asked 40. His answers were not satisfactory. We will summon him in the next couple of days.”
- AAP MLA Naresh Yadav arrested in Quran desecration case
- Punjab police track cash trail of flat bought by man arrested for Quran desecration
- Quran ‘desecration’: AAP MLA grilled for 9 hrs, police claim his replies ‘contradictory’
- Malerkotla Quran desecration case: AAP legislator Naresh Yadav grilled for 5hrs, cops ‘not satisfied’
- Malerkotla Quran desecration: NRI AAP leader questioned for ‘links’ with main accused
- Quran desecration in Punjab: Is AAP's Naresh Yadav involved or is it a political trick?
Kumar and Yadav were questioned face-to-face, a source in the police department said.
“Yadav was repeatedly asked why exactly Vijay had met him, for how many hours they were together and what they discussed. His version did not match Kumar’s. Kumar repeatedly told the MLA: ‘I did this on your orders’. But Yadav did not say much. He was defensive. He completely denied his hand in the Quran desecration,” said a source.
Asked if the MLA would be undergoing a polygraph test, Thind said, “First Kumar will be tested on July 7. After a second round of interrogation, if the MLA fails to give specific details, he too will be made to undergo the polygraph test.”
Speaking to the media after interrogation, Yadav said, “I have replied to each and every question the police asked me. If they summon me again, I will be there. I have full faith in the law.”
He blamed the Badals for this “conspiracy” against him.
Meanwhile, the CIA office turned into a fortress as both AAP and SAD volunteers protested outside. AAP volunteers raised slogans against the Badals and accused them of framing their MLA. Akali workers protested against Yadav and raised slogans against AAP.