AFTER expressing displeasure over the NIA not informing him about its decision to file a supplementary chargesheet in the 2008 Malegaon blast case on Friday, Special Public Prosecutor Avinash Rasal seemed to have made peace with the agency by evening, saying it was done “unwittingly” by officers in a “hurry” to file the chargesheet.
Rasal told The Indian Express after this newspaper reported on Friday that the NIA was likely to file a chargesheet watering down the case, he was bombarded with calls.
- Media equally responsible for present situation in Kashmir, says NIA chargesheet
- Malegaon case: SC seeks reply of Maharashtra govt, NIA on Purohit’s plea
- 2008 Malegaon blasts: NIA objects to making ATS party in case
- Three Malegaon accused seek bail
- Malegaon blast: NIA chargesheet likely by the end of month
- Malegaon blast accused contests ATS chargesheet
“After the report in The Indian Express, I was flooded with calls from reporters to check if the chargesheet would indeed be filed today. But earlier this week, I had told the court the chargesheet would be filed in the last week of the month. This is what I told the reporters too. However, around 1.30 pm, I saw my junior counsel Geeta Godambe submitting the chargesheet in court. I was taken aback that the officials did not find it important to apprise me of the development,” Rasal said. “I therefore left and allowed the special counsel to continue with the arguments.
By evening, his tone had changed. “The investigating officers Dhule and Mane called me and apologised for not intimating me. I accepted their apology. They explained to me the circumstances in which they had to file the chargesheet hurriedly, and therefore they failed to inform me,” he said.