Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray demanded stopping water supply to breweries in drought-hit Aurangabad in Marathwada region, on Saturday. Thackeray, who was in Marathwada, said, “When people are not getting water for drinking, there is no justification in supplying it to breweries.”
Responding to the Sena’s demand, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Saturday said that he had called for a report from the Aurangabad divisional commissioner on the sector-wise allocation of water to industrial companies. After getting the report, the government would take a formal decision on water supply to these industries, including the breweries, he added.
- State will discuss water grid project with Israel, says CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Maharashtra’s 107 irrigation projects worth Rs 10,686 crore get nod from Centre
- ‘Drought selfie’ to ‘water for breweries’, Pankaja Munde leaves BJP red-faced
- Sena: Beer companies shouldn’t be provided water in Aurangabad
- Drought-hit districts to get water from North Maharashtra, Konkan
- Make in India week: Industries battle water scarcity in Marathwada
Fadnavis said, “We have already deployed trains to supply water to drought-hit Latur.”
Among the eight districts in Marathwada, Latur is the worst hit and drinking water comes to Latur once in three to four days.
The fifth train carrying five-lakh litres of water reached Latur on Saturday. Every train has 50 wagons of drinking water.
However, Minister for Rural Development Pankaja Munde has opposed the stopping of water to breweries. She said, “No additional water is being given to the breweries. The water supplied is within the quota reserved for industrial units.” However, Water Resources Minister Girish Mahajan said, “The priority of the government is to ensure drinking water to residents. If there is shortage of water, we can curtail water to industrial units.”
A senior Sena cabinet minister said, “ How can Munde justify the water supply to breweries when people have no water for drinking. What quota is she talking? Does she even know that water supply to Aurangabad is once in two days, Latur once in three day….”