Members of two communities clashed in powerloom town of Bhiwandi in the district today during the Muharram procession, causing injuries to at least six persons, including policemen, in the stone-pelting. The situation in this communally-sensitive town is tense but under control now, police said.
Bhiwandi MP Kapil Patil said the incident was not a serious one and that an urgent meeting of peace committee has been convened to defuse tension.
The incident occurred when some of arches put up for just-concluded Navratri festival got damaged in a lane during the procession in the evening and members of both communities came face-to-face and hurled stones at each other. They also attacked police personnel, injuring a sub-inspector and some constables.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Unconfirmed reports stated that some members of public also sustained injuries in stone pelting.
Police dispersed the mob and brought the situation under control.
Thane Commissioner of Police, Paramveer Singh and Joint Commissioner of Police Ashutosh Dhumbre rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
In late night, a two-wheeler was set on fire in front of Gayatri Nagar police chowkie in the town after videos of the damage caused to the arches were shared on social media.