The body of a woman judicial magistrate posted in Kanpur Dehat was reportedly found hanging at her official residence in Cantonment area Sunday. Her husband has claimed that she had committed suicide. The victim’s parents, however, alleged foul play and police officials are now questioning the husband and other family members.
Pratibha Gautam, a native of Orai in Jalaun district, was found hanging from the ceiling fan by her husband when he arrived there in the morning, City SP Somen Verma said. The husband, Manu Abhishek, is a practising lawyer at Delhi high court, he said, adding Pratibha and Manu had got married in April this year.
The husband told police that Pratibha returned from Delhi Saturday, but when she did not attend his phone calls, he reached Kanpur early in the morning to check on her. On reaching Kanpur, he found her body hanging from the ceiling fan and informed police and her parents. “He claimed that his wife had hanged herself and had also cut both her wrists,” a police official said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Manu also claimed that he brought down the body and placed it on a bed before police reached the spot.
However, Pratibha’s father Rajaram, a retired bank officer who runs a fuel station in Orai, said he had doubts about his son-in-law’s version and demanded a thorough probe.
According to police, Pratibha and Manu Abhishek, had met each other while pursuing studies in Delhi and got married in April. The duo had a fight over some issue on Saturday. Pratibha’s parents claimed that she was pregnant.
Senior Superintendent of Police Shalabh Mathur said investigations are on. “Cause and time of death of deceased will be ascertained after postmortem,” the SSP said.
Late at night, the husband was booked on charges of murder.