Just as the Prime Minister began his speech at the Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University on Friday, a student stood up from the audience and started raising the slogan ‘Narendra Modi go back’.
Taken aback, Modi stopped for a few moments before continuing with his speech which lasted for over 30 minutes. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and university Vice-Chancellor R C Sobti looked on with surprise from the stage, as the student was joined by two others, all raising the same slogans.
- Mayawati trains guns on BJP: Their Dalit, OBC leaders bonded labourers of RSS
- 'Satyamev Jayate': PM Narendra Modi tweets link to Smriti Irani's spirited speech in Lok Sabha
- Rohith Vemula, Kanhaiya Kumar: Tale of 2 students, 1 protest
- Dalit students who heckled Narendra Modi are now ‘lead protest speakers'
- Rohith Vemula's death: 'We are deeply hurt, expressed what’s in our heart'
- Rohith Vemula suicide: PM Modi should take action against his ministers, says Congress
It turned out that Ram Karan Nirmal, a Dalit who has completed an LLM in Human Rights from the university, was protesting against the suicide of research scholar Rohith Vemula.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
‘Rohith hum sharminda hain, Dronachanrya abhi zinda hai (Rohith, we are ashamed that Dronacharya is still alive’)’, was the other slogan the group raised before they were overpowered by security personnel.
V-C Prof Sobti said, “Nirmal has completed his LLM and had come to accept his degree. The university cannot take action against a student who has graduated. It is democracy.”
While the proctor at the university said Nirmal was taken away by police, officers at the local Aashiana station denied having detained any student from the university.