Just as the Prime Minister began his speech at the Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University on Friday, a student stood up from the audience and started raising the slogan ‘Narendra Modi go back’.
Taken aback, Modi stopped for a few moments before continuing with his speech which lasted for over 30 minutes. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and university Vice-Chancellor R C Sobti looked on with surprise from the stage, as the student was joined by two others, all raising the same slogans.
- Rohith Vemula’s mother has a request for Smriti: Stop spreading lies
- 'Satyamev Jayate': PM Narendra Modi tweets link to Smriti Irani's spirited speech in Lok Sabha
- Dalit students who heckled Narendra Modi are now ‘lead protest speakers'
- Rohith Vemula's death: 'We are deeply hurt, expressed what’s in our heart'
- PM Modi addresses convocation ceremony at Ambedkar University
- Rohith Vemula suicide: PM Modi should take action against his ministers, says Congress
It turned out that Ram Karan Nirmal, a Dalit who has completed an LLM in Human Rights from the university, was protesting against the suicide of research scholar Rohith Vemula.
‘Rohith hum sharminda hain, Dronachanrya abhi zinda hai (Rohith, we are ashamed that Dronacharya is still alive’)’, was the other slogan the group raised before they were overpowered by security personnel.
V-C Prof Sobti said, “Nirmal has completed his LLM and had come to accept his degree. The university cannot take action against a student who has graduated. It is democracy.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
While the proctor at the university said Nirmal was taken away by police, officers at the local Aashiana station denied having detained any student from the university.