NSG commando Lt Col Niranjan Kumar, who was killed in the grenade blast at Pathankot air base on Sunday, lost his mother at a young age. Born in Bengaluru, Kumar grew up with his two brothers and a sister away from his home state Kerala.
His father EK Sivaranjan, now a retired BEML employee, moved to the city 40 years ago. Kumar’s family roots can be traced to Elambassery village in Palakkad district. His uncle Harikrishnan told The Indian Express that Kumar used to visit his relatives in Kerala during festivals and got married three years ago in Elambassery.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Pathankot martyr: With tears and flower petals, Lt Colonel’s village bids him farewell
- Thousands line up to pay tribute to Lt Colonel Niranjan Kumar, who died in Pathankot
- Pathankot attack: Siddaramaiah, Gowda pay last respects to Lt Colonel Niranjan Kumar
- Lt Colonel Niranjan's body brought to Bengaluru
- He said he was in an op... would call me back, says father of Lt Col Niranjan Kumar
- Pathankot attack: NSG commando Lt Col Niranjan killed, Rajnath Singh says 'nation salutes his sacrifice'
“He had visited us during the last Onam festival in September,” said his uncle. “I last spoke to him in October when he called to inform me about his promotion. He was very happy. He sent me pictures of his daughter through WhatsApp.”
Kumar is survived by his wife Dr KG Radhika and two-year-old daughter Vismay. A member of the NSG’s bomb disposal squad, he was killed while defusing a grenade at the site of terror attack during mopping operations. He had joined the Madras Engineering Group of the Army before moving to the NSG.
Family sources said the body would be cremated at the native village. The body would be flown to Bangalore from Delhi before being taken to Palakkad.