Gandhinagar BJP MP and former deputy prime minister L K Advani performed the bhumi poojan of the 70-km Ahmedabad-Mehsana gauge conversion project and its electrification through video conferencing from Rail Bhavan in New Delhi on Tuesday afternoon. The project is to cost Rs 477 crore.
The ceremony was performed in the presence of Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu. Advani recalled his old days when he was home minister and the railway minister concerned while launching a rail project in Gujarat, he would ensure his presence at such an event. He thanked Prabhu profusely for inviting him to “Rail Bhavan for the first-time” and specially organising the Gujarat related event for him.
- Inside track: Hardik a help?
- Manmohan Singh lying about Narendra Modi, says CM Vijay Rupani
- L K Advani turns 90: BJP veteran celebrates birthday with visually-impaired children
- Bullet train project an 'exercise in vanity', says Manmohan Singh
- Ahead of Narendra Modi visit, Vadnagar railway station dresses up, in tea cups, PM photos, schemes
- Surge by 300 per cent in allocation for Gujarat railways in 2 years, says Suresh Prabhu
At the Ahmedabad station-end, mayor Gautam Shah and Ahmedabad West MP Dr K P Solanki were present. Prabhu on the occasion said there was over three-fold increase in allocation for Gujarat related project in the past one year compared to previous four years of the UPA government. He said that still more funds were needed for Gujarat.
Dr Solanki said Gujarat had been facing injustice for long in the UPA rule. Now, Gujarat will have India’s first bullet train and a metro rail under the NDA rule which showed “the government is sensitive to the issues of Gujarat”. He gave an example saying that the metro route on Ashram Road was changed keeping in view the hardship of people on Ashram Road if the route would not be changed from the original.