Congress suffered worst defeat in the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LA HDC) polls at the hands of Bharatiya Janata Party that secured 18 seats while Congress could mange to win just four seats.
In the last LAHDC polls Congress had bagged 22 seats. BJP that had won Leh Parliament in the last parliament elections but lost both the assembly seats of Leh in the assembly elections swept the polls in all councils. National Conference managed to win two seats while an independent candidate also bagged one seat.
Peoples Democratic Party however failed to open its account and all its candidates lost elections.
- UP parties pulling out all stops to win Gorakhpur, Phulpur bypolls
- Northeast election results 2018: BJP captures Tripura, looks to form govt in Nagaland; hung assembly in Meghalaya
- Tripura Election Results 2018 highlights: BJP-IPFT alliance drubs Left, PM says democracy has won in state
- Four corporations, one seat: AAP struggles in urban Punjab
- Gujarat civic polls: Congress continues to gain in Saurashtra-Kutch
- Gujarat civic elections: BJP wins 47 bodies, down from 59; Congress gets 16
Congress however blamed both the BJP and PDP for using government machinery in the elections. “It was a tactical understanding between PDP and BJP to wrest control of LAHDC from Congress. The ministers of both the PDP and BJP camped there and ensured victory of the BJP candidates,” Congress vice president Ghulam Nabi Monga said. He said to win theses elections BJP even promised Union Territory Status to the region.
Earlier former JK chief minister and NC working president Omar Abdullah who campaigned for his candidates had blamed PDP for helping BJP in LAHDC polls.
PDP while denying these charges said that party had put up their own candidates in these polls.
State BJP spokesman Arun Gupta said that people of Leh want development so they elected BJP candidates.
“For us it is a landslide victory. Like other parts of the country Congress has also failed miserably in Ladakh region so people here preferred candidates of our party as they want development of the area on the modern lines as promised by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi”..