The West Bengal government today told the Calcutta High Court that the provisional licence of app-based cab company Uber in the metropolis has been extended till December 14. State Advocate General Jayanta Mitra submitted before Justice Tapas Mukherjee that in view of the ongoing festive season, the provisional licence of Uber, which had expired in September, has been extended till December 14.
The state Transport department had not renewed the licence for alleged non-compliance of the criteria fixed for renewal of the same for app-based taxis.
Watch What Else Is Making News
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Uber, which does not own any taxi, and its cab operators filed a writ petition before the High Court, challenging certain criteria for renewal of licence as fixed by the Transport department.
The department had, in view of certain complaints, directed the app-based cab companies to install CCTVs inside the vehicles and an ‘alert’ button in the passenger segment.
Uber had moved the court challenging the provisions such as installing cameras on the ground that it would infringe upon the privacy of passengers.
The judge directed Uber and the Transport department to file affidavits stating their positions on the issue and fixed the matter on December 8 for further hearing.