Kolkata: MTech student in trouble for criticising ‘immersion carnival’

On Sunday she received a call from her neighbour about the 5 feet-7-inch hoarding coming up near her house.

By: Express News Service | Kolkata | Updated: October 18, 2016 2:53 pm
immersion carnival, kolkata student harassment case, mamata banerjee, durga puja, hoarding outside house, facebook harassment, cyber crime, indian express news, india news, kolkatta news Outside Rajashree Chattopadhyay’s house. Express photo

A First Year MTech student of Rajabazar Science College was in for a rude shock on Monday when she found a hoarding outside her house in Kolkata, displaying her Facebook profile page. The hoarding was accompanied with the message — ‘Shame on you’.

WATCH VIDEO: First Year MTech Student Slammed In Kolkata: Find Out Why

The reason: Rajashree Chattopadhyay, on October 14, had taken to Facebook to express her anger over Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s decision to hold a Durga Puja immersion carnival last Wednesday and also her plan to make the pujas a 10-day affair next year. She had posted: “Bhashane Haribol! Mananiya apni chuloi jaan”.

When contacted, she said: “The government had spent crores on pujas by clubs that are owned by ministers. I found it a little strange that while state employees were not getting DA because of financial crunch, money was being wasted like this. Just like a normal tax payer, I raised a question which was followed by a friendly discussion with my friends. While a few supported, others did not agree to my point… but that was fine.”

On Sunday allegedly she received a call from her neighbour about the 5 feet-7-inch hoarding coming up near her house. The same day, a group of women reportedly assembled near her house and asked her to apologise in public. “These women, who are supporters of the ruling party in my locality, gathered near my house and repeatedly asked me to apologise for my post. I did not. My neighbours came to my rescue and they were forced to leave. I support SFI, may be that was why they couldn’t digest my post,” said Rajashree.

She added: “Did I do anything wrong? I initially didn’t believe this but when I received a picture of the hoarding on WhatsApp, I was shocked. It reminded me of 2012 incident where a Jadavpur University professor was arrested for circulating a cartoon of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.”

“It’s our money. I am not against anything in particular but I have full rights to question people as a citizen of the state. I noticed that most clubs that were awarded and received money belonged to Trinamool Congress leaders. If they want to boost tourism, they must include pandals in Sundarbans and Cooch Behar,” said Rajashree.

She, however, has not lodged a complaint with the police, “It’s disheartening for a girl. I feel humiliated but would not like to go to police. It was tough for me to explain the matter to my parents. If I am threatened or put to such a thing again, maybe I will take stern action,” said Rajashree.

When contacted, local Trinamool Councillor of ward 8, Bapi Mitra, denied his party workers were involved in the matter. “No Trinamool worker was involved. I believe it was some kind of propaganda by others against our party. I have directed that the hoarding be taken down as early as possible,” he said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

1. I
    IslamForFools
    Oct 18, 2016 at 4:25 am
    This girl shud be sht dead
      Atis Mitra
      Oct 18, 2016 at 2:32 pm
      Dharsanbangla has got its proper leader
        ALOK MISHRA.
        Oct 18, 2016 at 2:01 pm
        Very unfortunate....open Gundagardi.... This incidents justify why Tata Nano shifted operations from West Bengal.... No company wants to invest in Bengal.... Earlier modi used to slap charges of sedition for criticising his work,,now Mamta is doing similar....These people are supposed to take our country forward....
          aroup chatterjee
          Oct 18, 2016 at 10:46 am
          During Left Front rule in WB such criticism of CM was commonplace
            arc
            Oct 18, 2016 at 6:59 am
            Modi at center, Mamata in Calcutta, Khattar in Haryana. Nothing but Uncultured half educated goons.
            1. B
              Balaji
              Oct 18, 2016 at 3:35 am
              We Indians are more emotional. We think and do the work from our heart not from the brain. Bengal people bear this quality more than us. They remain loyal for somebody for a longer time than many others in the other part of our country. Hence the brilliant people thinking the subject from the brain do not find the large group to support them. Better to go with the m to avoid anything bad.
              1. শৌনক বসু
                Oct 19, 2016 at 1:58 am
                By coward you mean not Bhakts I guess ? Or not 'Gau Rakshaks' or not hooligans like you?
                1. B
                  Biju Bahrain
                  Oct 18, 2016 at 7:15 am
                  Logic wont work in India. Bengal too..If we think wisely with our logic/sense we will immerse theses all idols for ever in the deep sea, where lakhs of kids unbale to go school bcz of poverty , millions still live in slums, millions eat once a day yet we spend crores for thsese idolsand festivals..as somebody wrote below, still we claim we are civilised.
                    D
                    Oct 18, 2016 at 5:52 pm
                    If leaders can not withstand criticisms, how can they develop! Very sad
                    1. T
                      Tapas K.
                      Oct 19, 2016 at 1:04 pm
                      West Bengal has gone to dogs!
                      1. H
                        Harish Pune
                        Oct 18, 2016 at 8:13 am
                        Actually, they made her and her post more famous.
                        1. J
                          JayHind
                          Oct 18, 2016 at 2:12 am
                          A coward amd weak race this is how reacts
                          1. J
                            Jeevan
                            Oct 18, 2016 at 7:35 am
                            and Marxixts in Kerala...
                              Ramakrishnan
                              Oct 18, 2016 at 9:12 am
                              I do not understand why the SFI activist should be shocked. No civic rights like freedom of speech are allowed in communist countries. SFI is trying with all their might to bring about such a regime in India. Now she must be glad that Mamta has already implemented the same. I have never understood why people are questioning the timeless wisdom of Indian sages as supersion and accepting the violent and failed ideology a German maverick as gospel truth.
                              1. L
                                l s
                                Oct 18, 2016 at 12:52 am
                                Where is freedom of speech in kolkatta ?????
                                  kum
                                  Oct 18, 2016 at 12:54 pm
                                  don't forget brain d3ad jayalalitha.
                                    Mag
                                    Oct 18, 2016 at 6:36 am
                                    This is one of those many examples which indicates the "Intolerance" raised in the society.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;If we consider to raise voice against the ruling gov crime then we should be shame of our self's lt;br/gt;This indicates we are still far from being civilization.
                                      manu
                                      Oct 18, 2016 at 10:54 am
                                      no will shout intolerance in this case!
                                        Darshak
                                        Oct 18, 2016 at 8:15 am
                                        Terrorism and violence was inplanted by the communists snce late 1960 by the Chinese and continued untill today in different name- Intimidation. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;That has become a way of life in the land where common man was known as Bhadrolok (gentleman).lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;What a pity!lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;And the Onlookers just Standby and and let it go.
                                        1. N
                                          Nascent
                                          Oct 18, 2016 at 7:24 am
                                          She is absolutely right!!
                                            Ratul Sen