The fourth accused in the alleged gangrape of a 25-year-old woman on May 29 at Salt Lake’s Sector V in a moving vehicle was arrested on Wednesday.
Investigators were able to track the location where the accused, identified as Subrata Dutta or ‘Bappa’, was hiding through mobile tower updates, said the police.
The other three accused — Suvendu Nag (25), Saurav Dey (20) and Arnab Bera (24) — had been arrested on June 1 from Haroa in North-24 Parganas district a day after the alleged gangrape took place.
- Delhi chief secreatary ‘assault’ case: Court rejects plea for custodial questioning of AAP MLAs
- Another suspect held in murder of woman, son in Meerut
- Third accused in Faridabad rape case arrested
- Two arrested for abducting, raping woman in moving car in Gurgaon
- Sangli custodial killing: DVR of CCTV system at police station stolen, say CID officials
- Crime, Camera and the City
They were identified after the police examined CCTV footage of the crime, which has been preserved as an evidence, police said.
They had confirmed Dutta’s involvement in the incident.
The vehicle, a Tata Sumo car, in which the woman was reportedly raped, had been seized from nearby Kestopur. Previously, medical tests conducted on the girl has also confirmed gangrape.
The victim, who worked at a restaurant in Barrackpore, reportedly hails from Nepal. According to the complaint lodged with the police, she had left home in an Uber cab around 11 pm on Sunday to visit a coffee shop in Salt Lake.
She apparently mistook the location and got off near College More at Sector V, where she had met the four accused, said the police. They allegedly assaulted her and then took turns to rape her in the moving vehicle, police said. She was later dumped on the roadside in an unconscious state.