At least eight persons were injured, one of them seriously, when a fire broke out following a gas leak on the premises of Hindustan Insecticides Limited (HIL) at nearby Kalamassery Industrial Area Wednesday, police said. A factory official, who did not wish to be named, said there was a gas leak, but declined to provide more details. Police said the accident occurred when the tyres of a tanker lorry, which brought carbon disulfide to HIL caught fire and exploded as the gas was being transferred to the facility set up in the factory, injuring eight persons.
Watch What Else Is Making News
Three fire engines, which rushed to the area, doused the flames.
The injured have been admitted to various private hospitals in Kochi and the condition of one of them was stated to be serious, police said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Ernakulam District Collector K Mohammed Y Safirulla said the situation is under control.
Hindustan Insecticides Limited is a public sector enterprise under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.