The Powai police has charged five senior doctors of Hiranadani Hospital with medical negligence in its chargesheet in the kidney racket unearthed there in July. The hospital’s CEO Dr. Sujit Chatterjee, Medical Director Dr. Anurag Naik and doctors Prakash Shetty, Mukesh Shah and Mukesh Shetye are among the 14 people named. In the 1,100-page chargesheet filed at the Andheri Metropolitan Court on Monday, the police has booked them for cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code and under relevant sections of the Transplantation of Human Organs Act.
The charges were brought against the doctors based on the report submitted by the state Directorate of Health Services (DHS) in September, which concluded that there was negligence on their part. On July 14, the Powai police had stopped a kidney transplant operation at the hospital after being alerted by local social worker Mahesh Tanna. The prospective recipient, Surat-based businessman Brijkishor Jaiswal, and donor Shobha Thakur were placed under arrest, as were Jaiswal’s son Kisan Jaiswal, agents Bhejendra Bhisen, Bharat Sharma and Iqbal Siddique.
The role of three other doctors — Dr Suwin Shetty, Dr Veena Sewlikar and Dr B K Kadam — who were part of the local authorisation committee that approved the transplant, is still under investigation, the police said. Dr Shetty and Dr Sewlikar, who are currently out on pre-arrest bail, have been named as accused. Dr Kadam is an assistant director at the DHS. On July 12, he had replaced another state official to attend the local authorisation committee at the Hiranandani Hospital.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Kadam is an anaesthetist and works in Thane district under the state government. In his statement to the health officials, Kadam said he was handed over the documents by Medical Director Anurag Naik and “assured” that the papers had been checked.
The chargesheet has named an agent, Vinod Patel, who was earlier arrested in Madhya Pradesh in a kidney transplant racket, as an absconding accused. Another wanted accused named in the chargesheet, Mumbra resident Saeed Khan, an alleged forger, was arrested by the police on October 8 and was remanded in judicial custody until October 21. The chargesheet includes 49 witnesses, of whom Sunder Singh, an employee of the hospital who allegedly tipped off Tanna about the illegal transplant, is the prime witness.