Two policemen of Surat city crime branch, who allegedly demanded Rs 5 lakh from an astrologer’s wife for the safe release of her husband, were arrested on Saturday, along with three others, including a couple, who assisted them. As per police sources, Mahendra Borse (assistant sub- inspector) and Deepak Barot (police constable) serving with the crime branch of Surat city, had picked up an astrologer, identified as Salim Shaikh, under suspicion, from Athwalines area on October 10.
The policemen kept Salim Shaikh in the custody for a few days and interrogated them to find out about his involvement in any crime or cheating. After a few days, when both policemen failed to find his involvement in any crime, they checked his financial back grounds and found he was wealthy. They then hatched a plan and decided to extract some money from him. The duo took the help of a woman, Seema Mehta, and her husband, Kevan Mehta, to get money.
All four accused agreed and Seema made a call to Shaikh’s wife Saturday morning and informed her that her husband was in the crime branch custody and she had to pay Rs 5 lakh for his safe release.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Shocked by the demand made by Seema, the astrologer’s wife contacted Salabatpura police station of Surat city and sought help from police. Suspecting that a big gang was active, Salabatpura police agreed and arranged the cash, Rs 5 lakh.
On Friday evening, the astrologer’s wife, accompanied by a woman constable and few male constables of Salabatpura police station, went to Athwalines area near Jolly Arcade and met Seema. The policemen caught her and inquired about astrologer Salim, who was found seated in a car, accompanied by two crime branch policemen.
After heated exchange of arguments between cops of Salabatpura police and crime branch cops, police inspector B K Vanar of Salabatpura police took the crime branch cops alongwith the couple Seema and her husband Kavan to Salabatpura police station.
Athwalines police inspector A M Captain said, “The policemen were involved in kidnapping-cum-ransom. We have arrested all the accsued and have started probe.”