The Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) on Friday registered a case against Additional Chief Secretary Tom Jose on charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income. The sleuths, who raided the office and residential premises of the senior IAS official, told the Vigilance court in Muvattupuzha that Jose had allegedly amassed ill-gotten wealth amounting to Rs 1.19 crore between 2010 and 2016.
Jose, president of the Kerala chapter of IAS Officers Association, will face charges under Section 13 (1) and 13 (II) of the Prevention of Corruption Act. Vigilance registered the FIR following a preliminary inquiry based on a complaint that the official had accumulated wealth disproportionate to his sources of income. The agency has issued notice to banks to freeze his accounts. During the UDF regime, Vigilance had probed the same allegation and given a clean chit to Jose.
Jose said the Vigilance action was meant to insult him. He pointed out that the agency had earlier probed the same allegation and found little substance in it. A detailed reply would be submitted to the chief minister, he added.
Vigilance had recently raided premises of another additional chief secretary, K M Abraham, after a court registered a wealth amassment case against him. Abraham wrote to CM Pinarayi Vijayan alleging that VACB Director Jacob Thomas was harassing him and acting vengefully.
Vijayan Friday extended support to Thomas. Vijayan told the Assembly that there were forces that did not want to see Thomas as VACB director. “Vigilance committed certain lapses while raiding Abraham’s house. However, that does not mean someone can smoke out the Vigilance director,’’ said Vijayan.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review