Kerala on Tuesday remembered iconic Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro, who passed away last week, with leaders cutting across political barriers sharing a platform on Tuesday to pay homage to him. Besides Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, the ‘Castro commemorative event’, organised by state Information and Public Relations Department, was attended by a host of leaders including assembly speaker P Sreeramakrishnan, opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala and BJP MLA O Rajagopal.
Watch what else is in the news
Hailing Castro as the ‘strongest protector of Socialism’, Vijayan said the revolutionary leader had braved several assassination bids, including by CIA, and economic sanctions imposed on Cuba by “imperialist forces with his willpower.”
“Though Cuba was a small, sparsely populated nation, it survived all challenges posed by imperialist forces by upholding socialist ideology under Castro’s administration,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
A scientific political ideology and unwavering commitment to it had helped Cuba and Castro to brave threats and challenges, he said.
The chief minister said Castro would be known forever as an immortal revolutionary who rightly blended “practicality with his political ideology.”
Opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala said Castro had been a source of inspiration for all who fought for their survival across the world. Not orthodox communism, but practical socialism was the ideology embraced by Castro, he added.
State Ministers V S Sunil Kumar and Mathew T Thomas were among those who attended the meeting.