Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee joint secretary M R Ramadas was arrested Monday in a murder case in Thrissur. Police said the arrest was in connection with the murder of a youth named M Satheesh, 28, of Shornur this month. Ramadas had allegedly helped detain the victim in a flat for two days, destroyed evidence after the crime, and helped the other accused escape after the murder.
- Kerala: Congress MLA enters Assembly with used tear gas shell
- Law and order situation collapsed in Kerala, says UDF
- Centre seeks report on Kerala lynching: 16 held, state declares Rs 10 lakh aid for kin
- Kerala man beaten to death on suspicion of stealing food: Two detained, BJP calls for bandh
- Kerala Congress leader ‘killer’: 2 murder cases, 5,200 followers and countless Facebook battles
- Day after arrest, videos emerge of murder accused CPM worker issuing threats at rallies
The prime accused in the murder is Youth Congress leader V A Rasheed, who is absconding. Police had earlier arrested two of Rasheed’s friends, Shashwathi and Krishna Prasad. According to police, Rasheed, Shashwathi and Krishna Prasad, along with Satheesh, had travelled to Kodaikkanal in Tamil Nadu in February, returned to Thrissur the next day and stayed at Rasheed’s flat. Apparently under the influence of liquor, Satheesh picked a fight with the others, who allegedly tortured him and locked him up.
Fearing that Satheesh would reveal the relation between Rasheed and the woman, they tortured him for hours, leading to his death, police said. They added that Ramadas had visited the flat on two days while Satheesh was being held captive. After the murder, Ramadas helped Rasheed and Shashwathi escape, police officers said. Police later arrested Prasad and Shashwathi.