Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday announced Rs two lakh each as compensation for the next of the kin of the dead in Kollam temple fire in which more than 80 people have been killed.
He also announced Rs 50,000 each for the injured in the tragedy that occurred early this morning in Puttingal Devi Temple near Kollam town.
- Kollam temple fire tragedy: Kerala to seek Rs 117 cr aid from Centre
- UDF encouraging officials to make controversial remarks for political gain: Kerala BJP chief on Modi's Kollam visit
- #Kollam Temple Fire: From the initial spark to the arrests - how it all unfolded
- Kerala temple fire: Organisers of fireworks show detained by police
- Kerala fire tragedy: Temple ignores ban, fireworks show leaves over 100 dead, 400 injured
- Kerala temple fire LIVE: HC bans fireworks from sunset to sunrise, wants govt's response on CBI probe
Expressing deep anguish and shock over the disaster, he directed the Indian Air Force to ferry the injured to hospitals in Thiruvananthapuram for treatment.
The Prime Minister also decided to visit the temple town for taking stock of the situation and meet the injured.