Kerala Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) on Friday questioned former state Excise Minister K Babu in connection with a disproportionate assets case against him. VACB sleuths questioned Babu for three hours after he was summoned to its office in Kochi this morning, sources said. The officials had questioned Babu early this week in connection with another case related to issuing of bar licenses to hotels during his stint as Excise Minister in the previous UDF government in the state.
Emerging from the VACB office following the interrogation, Babu claimed that he has no business link with one Baburam, his alleged ‘benami’ in the real estate business. VACB had registered a case against Babu and his alleged benamis Baburam and Mohanan after raids at their residences in connection with the disproportionate assets case.
According to an FIR filed before the Court of Inquiry Commissioner and Special Judge, Muvattupuzha, VACB Special Cell submitted that Babu, “who hails from a poor family, abused his power as a Minister to accumulate wealth.” “He had illegal connections with real estate mafia, business groups and ‘benamis’ in Ernakulam district and outside Kerala,” it alleged.
Babu, a senior Congress leader, however, had rejected the allegations and challenged the agency to prove the charges against him. “It is an act of vengeance,” he had said. Reiterating his stand, Babu on Friday said, “I have no business link with Baburam.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016