A CPI(M) member was hacked to death in Kannur district of Kerala on Monday morning, making it the sixth political murder in the district this year. Kannur has a history of violence between cadres of the CPI(M) and the Sangh Parivar, and the Marxist party’s Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan blamed the RSS for the murder soon after the incident. The CPI(M) has called a dawn-to-dusk hartal in the district on Tuesday to protest against the “political murder”.
The police identified the victim as Kuzhichalil Mohanan, 50, a member of the CPM’s local committee in Vengad panchayat, in Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan’s Assembly segment Dharmadam.
Police said five masked men armed with swords stormed into a toddy shop at Valankichal near Pinarayi, where Mohanan worked as a salesman, and attacked him. Police said his hands and legs were almost severed.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
A fellow shop employee, Ashokan, is said to have sustained minor injuries when he tried to help Mohanan, the police said. Mohanan was taken to a hospital but succumbed to injuries.
The police said stray incidents of violence involving CPI(M) and BJP cadres were reported in nearby areas soon after news of the attack spread. An officer said Mohanan was not involved in any criminal case, and the police did not have any report that he was facing threat from rivals.