THREE WEEKS after the Assam government evicted over 200 families from three villages near Kaziranga National Park and about 60 families from land belonging to two Vaishnavite satras (Hindu monasteries), CM Sarbananda Sonowal made it clear on Wednesday that freeing land belonging to the national park and various satras was among the “top priorities” of his government.
“We had promised people during the poll campaign that we will free Kaziranga and satra lands from encroachers. Removing encroachers from near Kaziranga became a priority because the previous Congress government was sitting on a High Court order for several months.
Similarly, there are court orders to remove encroachers from land belonging to the Vaishnavite satras,” said Sonowal, who had come here to take part in the 568th birth anniversary celebration of Srimanta Sankaradeva, a 16th century saint-reformer, at Bardowa Satra, about 125 km from Guwahati.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Dismissing the Opposition’s allegations that the government was evicting only Muslims, he said, “It’s not true. In case of both Kaziranga and the satra land, we have gone strictly by High Court orders which do not discriminate between people.”