The Valley observed a complete shutdown on Saturday to protest against the arrest of Prof S A R Geelani and JNU students for voicing their support for the Kashmir issue and against the “harassment” of Kashmiri students studying in New Delhi.
The call for the shutdown was given by Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani and supported by most separatist leaders in the Valley.
All business establishments and shops in Srinagar city remained closed. While public transport remained off the roads in most areas, some private cars were seen plying. The attendance in government offices remained thin because of non-availability of public transport. As a precautionary measure and to prevent damages, the government had suspended the intra-Kashmir rail service.
The shutdown was also observed in all major towns and villages of the Valley. In north Kashmir, all shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic remained off the roads in Sopore, Baramulla, Kupwara, Handwara, Pattan and Bandipore. Impact of the shutdown was also felt in Shopian, Kulgam, Pulwama, Awantipora, Anantnag, Bijbehara and Pampore towns in south Kashmir and Ganderbal and Budgam in central Kashmir.
J&K Police had put several separatist leaders, including chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Mohammad Yasin Malik, under house arrest to prevent them from leading protests marches.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Hurriyat has thanked people for the success of the shutdown.