Uri terror attack: Injured brought to Srinagar hospital, 7 said to be critical

Both Parrikar and Army Chief Dalbir Singh Suhag, who arrived in Srinagar and later flew to Uri to take stock of the situation on the ground, were briefed on the attack.

Written by Bashaarat Masood | Srinagar | Updated: September 18, 2016 10:09 pm
kashmir, kashmir unrest, uri terror attack, uri attack, uri army base, indian army uri attack, attack on uri, kashmir terror attack, india news, latest news, indian express news Women shout anti-Indian slogans during a protest in Srinagar, against the recent killings in Kashmir September 18, 2016. (Source: Reuters)

From early morning Sunday, helicopters began to fly into Srinagar carrying the dead and injured from the site of the terror attack in Uri. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, who arrived in Srinagar late in the afternoon, came to the Army’s 92-Base Hospital at Badami Bagh cantonment to visit the soldiers.

Defence officials said 20 soldiers had been injured in the attack on the Administrative Buildings and Store Complex of the 12 Infantry Brigade Headquarters in Uri. “All the injured soldiers were brought to the Base Hospital,” Col Arun, GS IW Northern Command, told The Indian Express.

While the Army has not revealed anything on the nature of injuries to the soldiers, sources said seven of them were wounded critically and that one of the seriously injured had been shifted to New Delhi. The Army didn’t allow media inside the 92-Base Hospital.

Sources say the injured soldiers were first rushed to the 419 Field Hospital at Uri, and from there airlifted to the Srinagar hospital. Of the 20 injured, 14 are said to belong to Bihar Regiment while rest are from the Dogra Regiment.

Both Parrikar and Army Chief Dalbir Singh Suhag, who arrived in Srinagar and later flew to Uri to take stock of the situation on the ground, were briefed on the attack.

“They were briefed by the Northern Army and Chinar Corps Commanders Lt Gen D S Hooda and Lt Gen Satish Dua respectively on the attack and the operation launched to neutralise the terrorists,” a defence spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said the Defence Minister was informed that three of the four “heavily armed terrorists” were killed within the first 15 minutes and that 13 out of the 17 soldiers died “as they were trapped in the tents and shelters that caught fire due to the explosives”.

“The RM (Raksha Mantri) was briefed on the security grid along the LoC and the hinterland, also covering the deployment and employment of the additional forces that have been recently inducted into the Valley,” he said. “The need for heightened vigil both on the LoC and hinterland and to remain prepared for any developing was stressed upon.”

Parrikar directed Army officers to send the mortal remains of the dead soldiers directly to their hometowns.