Three students of Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences drowned on Friday evening, after falling in an irrigation canal in Hulivana village, 180km from Bengaluru, reportedly while they were clicking selfies.
Mandya district police said that the bodies of two students had been fished out and search was on for the third.
Lokesh, Circle Inspector of Mandya Rural, said the victims, all aged 24, have been identified as Sruthi and Jeevan, residents of Bengaluru and Girish, a native of Tumkur. Girish’s body is yet to be found.
- Cauvery row: Both cheer, anger among Mandya farmers
- Clicking selfie, youth slips into Ganga, 6 others jump in to save him, all drown
- Seven people drown in Ganga after trying to take selfie
- 2 medical officers drown in canal in Narayangaon
- AP: 2 children die,11 missing as school bus falls into canal
- 3 students drown while fleeing cops
“These three went to the canal with two other students, Goutam Patel and Sindu, to play in the water. They were busy taking selfies when they fell into the 20-feet deep canal. Patel and Sindu were rescued by local people. Jeevan too was rushed to hospital, but was declared brought dead,” Lokesh said.
Police said the students, who were in the final year of their course, were doing their internship at the Keragodu primary health centre.
Local residents said that the students had been spotted bathing on the slope of river on Thursday. After being warned by locals, they had left, only to return on Friday. A case of unnatural death has been registered at Keragodu police station. Further probe is on.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now