A 41-year-old Catholic priest has been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 21-year-old seminary student here. Father James Thekemuriyil, a former Rector of the Deva Matha seminar at Pattaram in Iritty, had allegedly sexually assaulted the student in May, 2015, police said.
Though the student had complained to the church, he was forced by him to withdraw his complaint, police said.
The priest was later removed as Rector and was in Bengaluru.
The student, who later left for Ranchi for higher studies, was physically assaulted by the priest and some others following which he personally appeared before police and filed a complaint.
Based on the complaint, police took James into custody and brought him to Irrity and arrested him earlier this week.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A case under sect 377 (unnatural offence), sect 342 (wrongful confinement) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of IPC had been registered against him, police said.
He was produced before a local court which remanded him to judicial custody.