JNU row: I believe in Constitution, Kanhaiya Kumar writes to cops, I don’t back Feb 9 slogans

'I believe in the Indian Constitution and I will abide by it. I also believe in India’s unity and diversity and do not support any unconstitutional activities,' Kanhaiya wrote.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: February 18, 2016 3:33 am
jnu, jnu row, kanhaiya, kanahiya kumar, kanahiya kumar arrest, kanahiya kumar JNU, kanahiya kumar jail, kanhaiya kumar jnu, supreme court on jnu, jnu leader sent to jail, kanhaiya sent to jail Kanhaiya Kumar being taken to Tihar jail on a police remand till March 2. (Source: Express file photos)

A few minutes before JNU Students’ Union president Kanhaiya Kumar left for the Patiala House Courts, he requested the police to give him a piece of paper. He wrote a letter to Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Prem Nath in which he said he has faith in India’s Constitution and does not support anti-national activities. Kanhaiya wrote that he opposed the anti-national slogans that were raised on the JNU campus.

Also read | Adequate evidence against Kanhaiya Kumar, outsiders involved: Bassi

“I believe in the Indian Constitution and I will abide by it. I also believe in India’s unity and diversity and do not support any unconstitutional activities,” he wrote.

JNU Row: What Delhi Police’s Failure To Ensure Order At The Patiala House Court Tells Us

Related Article

He added that the incident of February 9 was unfortunate one and criticises it. “After I went through all videos gathered through different sources, I realised that some people in JNU and some from outside were sloganeering which was unconstitutional and I don’t support it. I appeal to everyone to not to breach the peace in the university, society as well as in India,” he wrote.

Sedition Case: Visuals Of Lawyers Sloganeering At The Patiala House

Also read | LIVE: Kanhaiya Kumar beaten up by lawyers at court

Delhi police commissioner B S Bassi said, “I have been informed by my DCP South that Kanhaiya has showed his faith in the Indian Constitution and appealed to other students not to indulge in unconstitutional activity.”

1. V
    Vikrant
    Feb 17, 2016 at 12:23 pm
    2 days in police custody and after 4 danda on this young revilutionary and beacon of anti nationals has changed his tune. He now believes in Indian consution and doesnt approve of anti national slogans being shouted in JNU. The others who werr shouting for Indias destruction and ran away and are hiding in their burrows. Suddenly they are leaking in their pants and their AAZADI dream has lost its steam. These anti nationals should undergo danda parade till they give details of their accomplice involed in such anti national qctivities
      Anuradha Kalhan
      Feb 17, 2016 at 2:08 pm
      But we all are not thankful. How can a nation lover be so narrow and uninformed? It may be harmful for the nation he loves?
        Anuradha Kalhan
        Feb 17, 2016 at 12:23 pm
        What if there were a million young boys and girls well educated, well brought up. well behaved, dedicated? What if this young boy was not alone? What if this mother India did not have to deal with millions of lumpen, deranged, mercenary elements?
          Most Secular
          Feb 17, 2016 at 1:58 pm
          I am happy that I missed the boat which teaches students how to back-stab the country and how to disrespect the motherland. I am really thankful for missing it.
            Most Secular
            Feb 17, 2016 at 12:37 pm
            P.hd in"Social Transformation in South Africa," really? And this guy is a Union Leader here. No wonder he is into politics. He should now concentrate his remaining years on doing the research. Hope he learned his lesson. I personally would not like him to be used by the Lefties to destroy our country.
            1. N
              NArayan
              Feb 17, 2016 at 12:42 pm
              Its better he stays in jail for some time... there are chances of him getting killed for political reasons...it may be lawyers, fringe elements or the politicians vying to score a point.
                sonu
                Feb 17, 2016 at 12:41 pm
                above declaration of kanaiya will have burnol moment for all naxals
                  sonu