Justice Ranjan Gogoi of the Supreme Court will head the three-member panel set up by Vice-President and Rajya Sabha Chairman Mohammad Hamid Ansari for probing the grounds on which 58 members of Rajya Sabha had sought to impeach Justice S K Gangele of Madhya Pradesh.
The MPs, including Digvijaya Singh (Congress), Sitaram Yechury (CPM), Derek O’Brien (TMC) and Ram Gopal Yadav (Samajwadi Party), had submitted a motion to Ansari last April for initiating impeachment proceedings against Justice Gangele for alleged sexual harassment of a woman judge in Gwalior. Ansari had admitted the motion and written to the then Chief Justice of India H L Dattu to nominate a judge of the Supreme Court and Chief Justice of a High Court to the probe panel.
- SC frames new norms to evaluate work of HC Additional Judges
- Lawyers as Seniors: Supreme Court frames rules for itself, 24 High Courts
- Supreme Court opens a window to itself, starts to disclose appointment decisions
- Karnataka lawyers to protest ‘unjust transfer of honest judge’ today
- Justice Rohinton Nariman to head panel on judge impeachment
- Sexual Harassment case: Nominate SC judge to head probe against HC judge, Ansari to tell CJI
The committee was re-constituted Tuesday following the retirement of Justice Vikramjit Sen of the Supreme Court on December 31. The committee had been constituted on April 15, 2015. The two members — Chief Justice Manjula Chellur of Kolkata High Court and senior Supreme Court lawyer KK Venugopal — stay put.