Desh ke gaddaar, they shouted, went for my head: Journalist Alok Singh

“You will not shoot videos,” he said. I told him I wasn’t recording and was only making a phone call. A third man, also in black robes, rushed over and slapped me.

Written by Alok Singh | Updated: February 16, 2016 6:21 am
The Indian Express reporter Alok Singh's mobile phone was snatched away and broken. (Source: Express photo) The Indian Express reporter Alok Singh’s mobile phone was snatched away and broken. (Source: Express photo)

THE ATTACK on students, most of them from JNU, and journalists had started when I entered the Patiala House Courts complex around 2.30 pm on Monday afternoon. I had passed through the security gate and picked up my bag from the scanning machine when I spotted some men dressed in black coats worn by lawyers beating a young man wearing casual clothes.

Watch: BJP leader O P Sharma assaults ‘CPI leader’ outside Patiala House court

As they rained blows on him, they called him an “anti-national”. “Yeh Bharat ke against bol raha tha (He was speaking against India),” they said, as one of them held on the man’s muffler to stop him from escaping.

I could see police in the background, but they did nothing.

Watch video (App users click here)

“Where are you from? Where are you from? Who are you?” they shouted. “Bhaisaab, I am not from JNU,” he replied. “Show us your identity card,” replied one from the group.

It was then that I heard more shouting from behind. There, another man was being assaulted by men who were shouting, “This one too…this one too.”

Related Article

Apparently, they were targeting anyone “dressed like a JNU student”. I took out my mobile phone to inform my colleagues at The Indian Express about the situation. But then, another man dressed like a lawyer appeared seemingly out of nowhere and snatched the phone.

“Desh ke gaddar (anti-national),” the group shouted. Within seconds, I was surrounded by at least 10 men in lawyers’ coats. They started slapping and punching me, targeting my face and head.

I remember screaming at them, “I am a journalist..I am a journalist.” But nobody seemed to care. After a few more seconds, they stopped but then another man dressed like a lawyer walked up and slapped me again. They kept shouting at me, “He recorded a video…get out of here…get out.”

Finally, a lawyer from the court came to my rescue. He stopped the assault, and told me to quietly leave the premises. I asked for my phone, which was handed over to me. The screen was cracked.

As I began walking away, I noticed a few journalists, including Aazan from DNA newspaper, being chased by a group of men in black. He was beaten but managed to escape.

I ran towards the policemen standing near the baggage scanner machine. None of them moved or even attempted to intervene.

At this point, I was in shock. I asked a policeman, “Why was I beaten? Why is the media being targeted? Why are you not helping?” One of them said with a stoic stare, “Leave before this happens again.”

I made my way to gate number 2, which opens out to India Gate, with other journalists. We walked out even as more men dressed in black came running after us. They were shouting, “Hindustan Zindabad…” The police quickly let us out and closed the gate. But those men in black stood behind the iron gate, continuing to stare at us.

Avinash Singh
    Feb 16, 2016 at 10:35 am
    Thanks for bringing this to the people sitting in their cubicals.
      Aditya
      Feb 16, 2016 at 2:46 am
      Don't provoke people. They are intolerant for anti nationals.
      1. G
        girish
        Feb 16, 2016 at 1:30 am
        I am so happy at this. You are lucky they didn't break your bones when you said that you are a journalist. The More you provoke, more you get back. Bande Mataram.
          koodhiq
          Feb 16, 2016 at 4:58 am
          Parasitic journalists have for years fomented trouble via their media, inciting anti-socials to say and do whatever they want against the nation and hide behind obscure laws to escape prosecution. Media has a lot to answer for the appalling low state of nationalistic fervor in India as anyone who demands nationalism is scorned and called all sorts of names. Try doing that in the USA and one would see the law come down like a tonne of bricks. Our society is too slack.
            RCA
            Feb 16, 2016 at 2:32 am
            "Pressutes!" All they want is sensational news and more s, ratings etc.
              religion police
              Feb 16, 2016 at 2:50 am
              He took the phone to film. That's why they snatched it. You piece of Sh**
                religion police
                Feb 16, 2016 at 2:49 am
                This guy is lying
                  David
                  Feb 16, 2016 at 2:43 am
                  You look fine. Stop exaggerating.
                    roshan
                    Feb 16, 2016 at 3:33 am
                    Anyone who speak against India should be beaten only.
                      R.Ray
                      Feb 16, 2016 at 3:04 am
                      Now a days media does not have a vernacular character. These channels and news papers are run by media barons who know only money and TRP/IRP is everything for them. More importantly they have good business in Muslim Countries including stan. Hence to appease the Muslims is synonyms with secularism. So credibility of media is surely in question and reporters has to face as they are coming in direct contact unlike their businessmen boss. They are nothing but "MOHORA" in the hand of business lords. As Kanahiya is the mohora in the hand of Yechuri and company who always tried to gain momentum by sabotaging countries unity. They told Netaji "Dog of Tejo" to appease the british.
                      1. V
                        vishal
                        Feb 16, 2016 at 2:54 am
                        why Indian express is against the sentiment of Indian?
                        1. I
                          Indian
                          Feb 16, 2016 at 2:48 am
                          WE INDIANS have become "FREE to be PROUD as an INDIAN in INDIA" for just 68 years from 1947 after being SLAVES for more than 800 years- First of MU-SLIM INVADERS and then of BRITISH. ............. Most INDIANS do not want INDIA to SLIP BACK into SLAVERY which is what the end result of all the JNU ANTI-NATIONAL activities would be. .................. So JNU TYPE ANTI-NATIONAL activities has to be put down with an IRON FIRST by every FREEDOM LOVING INDIAN whereever they notice such tendencies.
                          1. Y
                            yousef
                            Feb 16, 2016 at 2:46 am
                            Media should be prepared for getting the reward for its focus on writing provocative things. Why should it complain? Why should editors of express who are wives and relatives of communists and do not hide their support to JNU complain. The who one who takes a side needs to be prepared for its consequences.